Mar 17, 2013, 8:45 PM EST
UPDATE 8:45 p.m. ET: Kobe Bryant will not play tonight, according to Lakers PR via multiple reports. Mike Trudell of Lakers.com reports that the ankle is too sore for Bryant to even test it out.
9:30 a.m. ET: The updates on the injury front for the Lakers were anything but encouraging on Saturday. While the update involving Kobe Bryant was somewhat expected, the news surrounding Pau Gasol was a bit more concerning.
Bryant is officially listed as doubtful to play when the Lakers host the Kings Sunday night. We never actually know with Bryant until we get closer to tip-off, of course, but he’s not expected to play in his team’s next game, after giving it a go against the Pacers on Friday with unsatisfactory results.
Gasol, meanwhile, was feeling good and getting ready to return to the court in one of the Lakers’ next two games, but it seems he may have suffered a slight setback.
Pau Gasol experienced soreness in his right foot while playing a two-on-two game at the team’s training facility Saturday. He will see foot specialist Kenneth Jung on Sunday. The cause and extent of the soreness were unclear.
Gasol had targeted Monday’s game against Phoenix as a return date from a tear inside the bottom of the foot, though it looked less possible after Saturday’s news.
So essentially, bad news all around.
The Lakers have played much better in recent weeks, and even with Bryant sidelined due to the ankle injury there’s no reason to rush Gasol back before he’s ready.
At this point, all the Lakers are looking to do is make sure they solidify a spot in the playoffs. They won’t get very far at all unless their entire roster is as close to 100 percent as possible, which means they can’t afford to play guys who are injured in a desperate attempt to trade the team’s long-term prospects for some short-term success.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday 0
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 8
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 7
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 16
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)