Mar 17, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
UPDATE 2:27 p.m. ET: It’s been made official now, a little more than an hour before tip-off, that both Anthony and Chandler are out for Sunday’s contest against the Clippers. Even though Chandler is out, the news on him might be considered to be positive — he’s missing the game due to a stiff neck; the team says his knee is fine.
8:00 a.m. ET: In a non-update injury update sent out by Knicks PR on Saturday, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler were both listed as questionable for New York’s game on Sunday against the Clippers in Los Angeles.
The vibe around the team after practice on Saturday, however, is that neither will be ready to go.
From ESPN New York:
The New York Knicks are planning to take the floor without Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler on Sunday, according to multiple reports.
Knicks coach Mike Woodson told reporters after Saturday’s practice in Los Angeles that he’s planning as if neither player will be available for Sunday’s game against the Los Angeles Clippers.
“Yes, we went through shootaround thinking that (Chandler and Anthony will not play),” Woodson said. “We got these (other players) in uniform ready to play.”
Anthony recently had the fluid drained from his ailing knee, and practiced only lightly on Saturday. Chandler sat out practice altogether, as he’s dealing with a knee contusion that kept him out of the Knicks’ loss to the Blazers on Thursday.
New York currently sits in third place in the East, a half game behind Indiana and a full game ahead of Brooklyn. The injuries are going to make it difficult for the Knicks to maintain their place in the standings, but unless Anthony and Chandler are close to 100 percent by the time the postseason begins, they’re going to be facing a quick first round exit regardless of whom they face.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 19
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28