Mar 17, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
UPDATE 2:27 p.m. ET: It’s been made official now, a little more than an hour before tip-off, that both Anthony and Chandler are out for Sunday’s contest against the Clippers. Even though Chandler is out, the news on him might be considered to be positive — he’s missing the game due to a stiff neck; the team says his knee is fine.
8:00 a.m. ET: In a non-update injury update sent out by Knicks PR on Saturday, Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler were both listed as questionable for New York’s game on Sunday against the Clippers in Los Angeles.
The vibe around the team after practice on Saturday, however, is that neither will be ready to go.
From ESPN New York:
The New York Knicks are planning to take the floor without Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler on Sunday, according to multiple reports.
Knicks coach Mike Woodson told reporters after Saturday’s practice in Los Angeles that he’s planning as if neither player will be available for Sunday’s game against the Los Angeles Clippers.
“Yes, we went through shootaround thinking that (Chandler and Anthony will not play),” Woodson said. “We got these (other players) in uniform ready to play.”
Anthony recently had the fluid drained from his ailing knee, and practiced only lightly on Saturday. Chandler sat out practice altogether, as he’s dealing with a knee contusion that kept him out of the Knicks’ loss to the Blazers on Thursday.
New York currently sits in third place in the East, a half game behind Indiana and a full game ahead of Brooklyn. The injuries are going to make it difficult for the Knicks to maintain their place in the standings, but unless Anthony and Chandler are close to 100 percent by the time the postseason begins, they’re going to be facing a quick first round exit regardless of whom they face.
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 10
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42
- Dwight Howard out at least two games with swelling in his knee 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Is this rock bottom for Oklahoma City? 14
- He’s on Fire! Kyrie Irving scores 55, knocks down game winning three (VIDEO) 54