Derek Fisher returns to Dallas for the first time since requesting his release from Mavericks

Mar 17, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

The Thunder will take on the mavericks in Dallas on Sunday, and it marks the first time that Derek Fisher will return to face his former team.

Fisher signed to play with the Mavericks at the beginning of December, as the team was struggling with its point guard rotation. Fisher appeared in nine games and averaged 25.4 minutes per contest, before requesting he be released from the team to attend to some family matters.

After Fisher resurfaced by signing with the Thunder at the end of February, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was less than pleased to see a player that quit on him pop up elsewhere, and had some harsh words for Fisher, essentially calling BS on Fisher’s given reasons for wanting out of Dallas.

Fisher is over it (obviously), and has no ill will toward the Mavericks. He does understand, however, that he may not get the warmest reception when he returns.

From Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

“Anytime you join a group or a team, even if it’s for a short while, there is some connection that takes place as far as teammates, coaches, people in the organization,” Fisher said. “I don’t know how happy they’ll be to see me, but I don’t have any problems with anyone here. I’m just looking forward to what should be a fun-packed game tonight.”

“I don’t know if weird is the right word,” Fisher said of his return. “But for sure as I’ve said before, personally there were some struggles in terms of really feeling like I could come to work and be fully committed to the team and to the organization. That was basically what I shared. Instead of continuing to try to fight through that it would probably be best for me  to return back home and spend some time with the family. And after a couple of months of being away from the game, reflecting on some things, thinking about how I wanted to finish my career, this opportunity presented itself and I took it.”

Fisher can only say what he believes to be the truth regarding his reasons for asking out of his situation with the Mavericks, as well as his reasons for wanting to come back and play for Oklahoma City two months later.

And in turn, Mavericks fans and Mark Cuban are well within their rights to be skeptical.

Latest Posts
  1. DeMarcus Cousins has response for fan who tells him to stop complaining about calls

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Houston at Sacramento Getty Images

Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.

2. Amar’e Stoudemire on retiring: “There’s a lot of high-level basketball left in me”

Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.

3. NBA admits incorrect no-call by referees on final play of Lakers’ overtime win over Timberwolves

Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves

A day later the league says Andrew Wiggins was fouled, but the officials let it go at the time.

4. Clippers holding off on re-signing Nate Robinson after second 10-day contract expires

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers would need to ink Robinson for the rest of the season, but are waiting to see how quickly he can return after a recent knee injury.

5. Wizards coach Randy Wittman: ‘I don’t give a crap what Marreese Speights thinks’

Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Randy Wittman AP

Speights said the Warriors knew the Wizards would quit after Golden State beat them recently, and Washington’s coach responds.

6. Nets say Thaddeus Young has a left knee strain, out Friday vs. Cavaliers

Mar 26, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Brooklyn is a half-game out of the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.

7. Timofey Mozgov’s local commercial is an absolute gem (video)

Mar 26, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers Indiana Pacers v Cleveland Cavaliers

Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey? Timofey Mozgov in a backward jersey

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches