Derek Fisher returns to Dallas for the first time since requesting his release from Mavericks

Mar 17, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

The Thunder will take on the mavericks in Dallas on Sunday, and it marks the first time that Derek Fisher will return to face his former team.

Fisher signed to play with the Mavericks at the beginning of December, as the team was struggling with its point guard rotation. Fisher appeared in nine games and averaged 25.4 minutes per contest, before requesting he be released from the team to attend to some family matters.

After Fisher resurfaced by signing with the Thunder at the end of February, Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was less than pleased to see a player that quit on him pop up elsewhere, and had some harsh words for Fisher, essentially calling BS on Fisher’s given reasons for wanting out of Dallas.

Fisher is over it (obviously), and has no ill will toward the Mavericks. He does understand, however, that he may not get the warmest reception when he returns.

From Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

“Anytime you join a group or a team, even if it’s for a short while, there is some connection that takes place as far as teammates, coaches, people in the organization,” Fisher said. “I don’t know how happy they’ll be to see me, but I don’t have any problems with anyone here. I’m just looking forward to what should be a fun-packed game tonight.”

“I don’t know if weird is the right word,” Fisher said of his return. “But for sure as I’ve said before, personally there were some struggles in terms of really feeling like I could come to work and be fully committed to the team and to the organization. That was basically what I shared. Instead of continuing to try to fight through that it would probably be best for me  to return back home and spend some time with the family. And after a couple of months of being away from the game, reflecting on some things, thinking about how I wanted to finish my career, this opportunity presented itself and I took it.”

Fisher can only say what he believes to be the truth regarding his reasons for asking out of his situation with the Mavericks, as well as his reasons for wanting to come back and play for Oklahoma City two months later.

And in turn, Mavericks fans and Mark Cuban are well within their rights to be skeptical.

1. boston444 - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

He quit because the team had no playoff hopes. Nothing else to it. It was a slap in the face to the entire Mavs organization when he came back and signed with the thunder. Inexcusable.

• money2long - Mar 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

did they have playoff hopes when he joined ? i thought the mavs were sluggish all season, and even when fish joined their team this season, i told myself, if he’s looking for a way to get a ring, he won’t do it there. i dunno if he used them, but he certainly abused them. it’s like getting a girlfriend, telling her you need a break from relationships, and when that girl sees you with another girl months later, of course she’d be offended. but if the opportunity was to date, i dunno, katy perry, i would think you would take that opportunity.

2. bigtganks - Mar 17, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Jazz fans all too familiar with Fishers lying ways to manipulate organizations into letting him go because he uses his kids and family to pull on the owners heart strings when it has nothing to do with that.

• money2long - Mar 18, 2013 at 1:07 AM

when fisher left, were the mavs in any worse shape than they were before fisher joined ? i think they were pretty much the same. i don’t think it was a case of, oooo the mavs are nice, hmm they’re not so good anymore, lemme leave. i think they were who they were when fisher left and as well when he joined.

3. tampajoey - Mar 18, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Derek Fisher is a POS

4. badintent - Mar 19, 2013 at 2:55 AM

With Billy Hunter getting the hump bump, I t thought Fisher was a shoe in to be the next NBAPA leader

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures