Mar 17, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Delonte West made his debut with the D-League Texas Legends on Saturday, playing professionally in a game for the first time all season. He started off strong with eight points on 3-4 shooting, to go along with two rebounds and an assist while playing all 12 first quarter minutes.
West’s numbers dropped off significantly after that, likely due to the need to get back into shape after being away from the game for so long. He finished with 10 points on 4-15 shooting, with four rebounds, five assists, and six turnovers.
Checking out the highlights in the clip above, you can definitely see that West still has some skills. His ball-handling seemed well above average, and his ability to distribute and get to the basket may still be of value to an NBA team once the conditioning piece comes together.
It’s worth noting that the level of competition West was playing against in the D-League is far, far below what he would see at the next level. But if he can put up some gaudy numbers at some point over his next few games, and keep a good attitude about his situation, he may find himself on an NBA roster before the end of the season.
Marc Stein of ESPN.com reports that the Knicks are among the teams monitoring West’s D-League activities.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 0
- Arena evacuated after apparent fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)