Mar 16, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Timberwolves have been as decimated by injuries as any team in the league this season, and that’s included their best player, Kevin Love, appearing in just 18 games.
Love broke his hand in the preseason, then re-injured it to the point where it required surgery. As the team’s medical staff tells him he’s still another few weeks away from being able to play, the thought that Love might not make it back at all this season has begun to cross his mind.
Timberwolves forward Kevin Love knows the season is ticking away on him and he said before Friday’s game at Houston there’s a chance he won’t play again this season.
“I’d say that has crossed my mind, but as far as making a decision, I haven’t made that decision yet,” he said.
Love said he still hopes —and intends — to play the season’s final eight to 12 games.
“We’ll see what a guy like Glen says and see what D.K. and Coach says and we’ll probably all make a decision,” Love said, referring to team owner Glen Taylor, president of basketball operations David Kahn and coach Rick Adelman. “At the end of the day, the decision is still mine and I’d still like to go out there and join the team.”
It isn’t as important to return to the court following a hand injury for a player to regain confidence as it would be with say, a knee injury.
But there would be no reason to hold Love out if he is indeed cleared to go, so while it’s certainly a possibility he might not return this season, if the doctors say he can play, we’ll likely see him for at least a handful of games.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11