Mar 16, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
The Timberwolves have been as decimated by injuries as any team in the league this season, and that’s included their best player, Kevin Love, appearing in just 18 games.
Love broke his hand in the preseason, then re-injured it to the point where it required surgery. As the team’s medical staff tells him he’s still another few weeks away from being able to play, the thought that Love might not make it back at all this season has begun to cross his mind.
Timberwolves forward Kevin Love knows the season is ticking away on him and he said before Friday’s game at Houston there’s a chance he won’t play again this season.
“I’d say that has crossed my mind, but as far as making a decision, I haven’t made that decision yet,” he said.
Love said he still hopes —and intends — to play the season’s final eight to 12 games.
“We’ll see what a guy like Glen says and see what D.K. and Coach says and we’ll probably all make a decision,” Love said, referring to team owner Glen Taylor, president of basketball operations David Kahn and coach Rick Adelman. “At the end of the day, the decision is still mine and I’d still like to go out there and join the team.”
It isn’t as important to return to the court following a hand injury for a player to regain confidence as it would be with say, a knee injury.
But there would be no reason to hold Love out if he is indeed cleared to go, so while it’s certainly a possibility he might not return this season, if the doctors say he can play, we’ll likely see him for at least a handful of games.
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 0
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 1
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 2
- The three biggest All-Star snubs in each conference 17
- James Harden, three Hawks players lead list of NBA All-Star Game reserves 11
- Report: OKC front office backs Scott Brooks, may look to trade Reggie Jackson 9
- Dwyane Wade out indefinitely, says best case for his return is 2-3 weeks 9
- Report: Tom Thibodeau’s relationship with Bulls management believed to be ‘beyond repair’ 42