Mar 16, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The Timberwolves have been as decimated by injuries as any team in the league this season, and that’s included their best player, Kevin Love, appearing in just 18 games.
Love broke his hand in the preseason, then re-injured it to the point where it required surgery. As the team’s medical staff tells him he’s still another few weeks away from being able to play, the thought that Love might not make it back at all this season has begun to cross his mind.
Timberwolves forward Kevin Love knows the season is ticking away on him and he said before Friday’s game at Houston there’s a chance he won’t play again this season.
“I’d say that has crossed my mind, but as far as making a decision, I haven’t made that decision yet,” he said.
Love said he still hopes —and intends — to play the season’s final eight to 12 games.
“We’ll see what a guy like Glen says and see what D.K. and Coach says and we’ll probably all make a decision,” Love said, referring to team owner Glen Taylor, president of basketball operations David Kahn and coach Rick Adelman. “At the end of the day, the decision is still mine and I’d still like to go out there and join the team.”
It isn’t as important to return to the court following a hand injury for a player to regain confidence as it would be with say, a knee injury.
But there would be no reason to hold Love out if he is indeed cleared to go, so while it’s certainly a possibility he might not return this season, if the doctors say he can play, we’ll likely see him for at least a handful of games.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7