Mar 16, 2013, 3:30 PM EST
The Timberwolves have been as decimated by injuries as any team in the league this season, and that’s included their best player, Kevin Love, appearing in just 18 games.
Love broke his hand in the preseason, then re-injured it to the point where it required surgery. As the team’s medical staff tells him he’s still another few weeks away from being able to play, the thought that Love might not make it back at all this season has begun to cross his mind.
Timberwolves forward Kevin Love knows the season is ticking away on him and he said before Friday’s game at Houston there’s a chance he won’t play again this season.
“I’d say that has crossed my mind, but as far as making a decision, I haven’t made that decision yet,” he said.
Love said he still hopes —and intends — to play the season’s final eight to 12 games.
“We’ll see what a guy like Glen says and see what D.K. and Coach says and we’ll probably all make a decision,” Love said, referring to team owner Glen Taylor, president of basketball operations David Kahn and coach Rick Adelman. “At the end of the day, the decision is still mine and I’d still like to go out there and join the team.”
It isn’t as important to return to the court following a hand injury for a player to regain confidence as it would be with say, a knee injury.
But there would be no reason to hold Love out if he is indeed cleared to go, so while it’s certainly a possibility he might not return this season, if the doctors say he can play, we’ll likely see him for at least a handful of games.
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 0
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 10
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 16
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 49
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11