Mar 16, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
The Heat won their 21st straight game on Friday in Milwaukee, and while there’s no easily predictable end to the winning on the Miami horizon, at least one team isn’t lining up to fawn over the defending champs.
The Celtics are in the seventh spot in the Eastern Conference playoff picture, and are just a half-game out of fifth after going on a legitimate run following the season-ending injury to Rajon Rondo. Boston is the one old-school, throwback team that has nothing positive to say about its conference rivals, and its players went on record Friday as being anything but impressed by Miami’s current stretch of winning basketball.
“Not really impressed with it or anything that they do,” said Terry, who has a history with Miami from his Dallas days when the two teams met in the 2011 Finals. “So, for me, it’s more about what our team is doing and how we’re coming together as a unit.”
Asked whether he wants the Heat to still be carrying that streak on Monday, [Paul Pierce] offered, “I really don’t even care. I hope they lose every game the rest of the season. I just worry about what this team does.”
This is what makes the Celtics who they are, and it’s what gives them an edge beyond their won-loss record once the postseason begins.
There’s a competitive fire and a chip on the shoulder that the veterans in Boston take with them into each and every game. From a pure talent perspective, the Celtics can’t hang with the efficient execution of a team led by LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. But aging guys like Terry and Pierce (and of course, Kevin Garnett) treat every one of their battles like it may be their last.
Should Miami win in Toronto on Sunday afternoon, the win streak would be at 22 as the Heat head to Boston to face the Celtics the following night. It’s not like they’ll need any motivation to continue their winning ways, but in case they find themselves searching, the quotes from Pierce and Terry should more than suffice.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 0
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 5
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 35
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 59
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73