Pau Gasol could be back with Lakers by next Monday

Mar 15, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Whether or not Kobe Bryant is going to be out for a while — he is officially a game-time decision in Indiana Friday and could play on his sprained ankle — the Lakers could use a little more offensive firepower.

Say, like Pau Gasol.

The Lakers skilled big man has been practicing with the team all week after recovering from a foot injury and it looks like he could be back with the team by Monday, coach Mike D’Antoni said. And that’s at the latest. Here are a couple tweets from Lakers reports Kevin Ding (Orange County Register) and Dave McMenamin (ESPNLosAngeles.com).

The question here becomes about fit. Gasol struggled when Mike D’Antoni was more set on forcing his system on the Lakers personnel. But now what the Lakers run is a shadow of that system (there is pick-and-roll but not the same tempo and there are other changes as well) and Gasol may be a much better fit.

We’ll see. The Lakers need the depth and need the scoring Gasol can provide, first to just make the playoffs and after that to be any kind of threat in them.

I still think this summer he gets traded. But that’s another topic for another day.

1. asimonetti88 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Great news for the Lakers. With Kobe injured, the Lakers need to find other ways to score and Pau can help with that.

2. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I love Pau but this an opportunity to showcase him for the highest bidder next season for his expiring contract. Hopefully that bidder will be Minnesota for “you know who”. I don’t want to say his name because T-Wolves fans will attack me.

• paleihe - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I’m a Clipper and Laker fan.

You’re crazy if you think the Wolves will give up Love for an old, one year rental of Gasol. You’re just being illogical about it.

• dirtydavis - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:00 PM

You never know… If David Kahn is in charge he’ll probably accept the deal if Lakers throw in a PG.

• ultichiva - Mar 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM

Your crazy….How the heck could you be a Clipper Fan & a LAKER Phan?

• bougin89 - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I’m a Buck’s fan.

What young prospects on rookie deals/valuable draft picks do the Lakers include in the deal with Pau Gasol to get Kevin Love?

• aboogy123456 - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Pau is better than kevin love. Older, yes. but still better. and both of them would be with minnesota for roughly the same amount of time. Pau until he retires and love until he signs somewhere else.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Pau won’t retire after next year. The Lakers have about as much of a chance of trading Pau for Kevin Love as they do trading MWP for Kevin Durant. I would be pretty much the happiest person ever if David Kahn got drunk and made the trade, but it won’t happen.

• paleihe - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I disagree that Pau is better than Love. Love can do everything Pau can do. His defense needs work, but that’s about it. But, let’s go with it for the sake of argument.

Who is more marketable? Who probably draws more interest? Who is more likely to get the Wolves on national TV? Who could help the Wolves get a better TV deal? It’s Love. Hands down.

Love also has much more upside than Pau. Gasol is what he is. Love is still improving. If your statement is correct, that they’d each be with the team the same amount of time, wouldn’t you wanna have the one with the most upside?

There’s no way the Wolves trade Love, for anyone, much less Pau.

• aboogy123456 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I disagree that love has some crazy amount of upside, he’s not going to ever be a defensive player. He just doesn’t have the body or athleticism, which is fine. I think minnesota is sick of Love being a locker room cancer and thinking that he’s some franchise player. Pau is an above average defender, taller, better post player, better passer, better teammate. I think he’s very underrated. Love can’t do the things pau can do in the post.

• aboogy123456 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I don’t want this hypothetical trade to happen but I could see how it makes sense for both teams. I think Minnesota views pau as a better player, and they need someone who can command a double team to open up the offense. Kevin love is not that guy, but he’s a great role player and his three point shooting would fit in well with how D’Antoni likes his power forwards to play.

• paleihe - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Love actually does command double teams. And, you can give the ball to him at the end of the game for the final shot. He’s already hit a few game winners for them. The Wolves don’t have that if they get rid of Love.

As a Laker fan, I’d Love (pun intended) to see this hypothetical trade go through. He’d be great working with Dwight down low, and he can obviously stretch the court. The other team wouldn’t get one freaking offensive rebound!

It may happen that Love plays for the Lakers, but he’s not being traded for a package that’s centered around Gasol. It just won’t.

• aboogy123456 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I hope you’re right that it won’t happen, but I do agree with you that him and Howard would be great together. They make up for each other’s deficiencies and fit D’antoni’s offense very well. I still view Love as one of the best role players in the league, but not the franchise player he thinks he is.

3. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Dude, what part of “expiring contract” don’t you understand? Minnesota or another team will trade for Pau because of cap space. “What’s his name” wants to be a LAKER. The LAKERS know it, Minnesota knows it. Risk losing him for nothing or move him? Mark my word, sir, “what’s his name”will be wearing the PURPLE AND GOLD. I can’t wait to see him on the frontline with Dwight!!

• bougin89 - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM

This is a zealot comment. Kevin Love is their young franchise player. You don’t trade guys like that especially when you have other young pieces(see Ricky Rubio) for cap space.

• paleihe - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Everyone knows you’re talking about Love, so just say his name.

Cap space are great, if you’re a destination that free agents wanna go to. Minnesota isn’t one of those locations. Love may eventually wear the Lakers jersey, but it’s not because he’ll be traded for Pau Gasol.

• heat256 - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:41 PM

They could get wayyy more in a trade for Love than Pau’s expiring deal, and they know it. Rubio likes playing with him so it would have to be for a good player or two or else Rubio wwll jet when he can. Minnesota may not have the sharpest front office guys in the world, but even they have to play this one smarter than that.

4. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:16 PM

Wait a minute, it just dawned on me…you’re a Clipper and LAKERS fan? Impossible. That’s akin to loving Pepsi AND Coke. Make a decision, my friend!

• paleihe - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I did make a decision. Because I live in LA, I like both teams. I’ve liked the Clippers since the days of Loy Vaught. And how could I not like the Lakers?

It’s not the same for the Clippers and Lakers, for obvious reasons, but Coke and Pepsi are interchangeable.

• loungefly74 - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:57 PM

ehhhhh…kinda strange to be a fan of both teams, paleihe. hey, its a free country, you can do what you want to do…but from a “sports fan” mentality, it is befuddling. I can understand having respect for both of the teams…but to claim both as “your team”…well…you are on par with those stereotypical girls who pretend to like sports…

anyway…cap/money issues will make teams do unusual moves. we will see.

• paleihe - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Cause sports fans can’t like two franchises?

5. dirtydavis - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Is it me or Lakers are better off without P Gasol?

6. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:57 PM

@bougin89/paulhargis53
    and as we’ve seen in the past, teams NEVER trade their young franchise players (see Dwight Howard). Look, my point is Love is not going to stay in Minnesota, unless they get another superstar to go along with him and Rubio. Rubio is a fantastic player but I think if it comes down to playing with him, or playing with the league’s most dominant center, the choice is easy. And that’s not even factoring in the whole playing for Los Angeles or Minnesota thing. Love wants to play for the LAKERS and regardless to the new CBA, for the most part, players still dictate where they want to go. I could be wrong but I bet by the opening of next season either Josh Smith or Kevin Love will be a LAKER. I would prefer Love but Josh would be a nice consolation prize.

• bougin89 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:19 PM

First off) Dwight Howard was a total different situation….you shouldn’t have to be reminded of this if you weren’t a ZEALOT. The Magic didn’t have absolute leverage in that deal and the Lakers had a perfect trade chip(who yes indirectly got Howard). Teams only trade young franchise players they will lose the next season. If you have an example of a young franchise player traded before the team knew they were going to lose him please reference.

Second) Love can leave the T’Wolves…that is absolute(which is one of the only things you said that made sense) but not until after the 2014/2015 season. That’s AFTER two seasons AFTER this one if you couldn’t calculate. Almost 3 seasons down the rode we can have this expiring contract talk…also please see above.

Third) This offseason(it really shouldn’t be hard to comprehend) Love doesn’t get to decide who he plays with. Why would you bring that up?

Fourth) Players dictate where they want to go when they have leverage. You don’t understand this. That is understandable ZEALOT…it’s not you’re fault you’re a ZEALOT.

Fifth) Josh Smith could be a Laker…I’ll give you that. They can’t just sign him but a sign and trade involving Gasol might make sense. Josh Smith has absolute leverage this offseason(don’t worry I know you don’t understand).

Sixth) You know I’m not paulhargis53. It’s ignorant of you to suggest I am.

• dedalus13 - Mar 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Love signed an assumed contract of $60,825,936 for 4 years that kicked in 2012-13, with early termination term for the last season. So, as hard as he wants to be a laker, coming out from such an outstanding, 18 games season where he broke his hand twice doing what? and shooting .386 eFG% (.458 TS%), I bet that he will still be a wolve next season. A trade would just not make sense by now (or someone is grossly overpaid. Kahn is probably more capable than many would think. See how he was encensed last off-season).

On a personal note, we know you miss ph53. I do too. Your arguments of LA cheerladers vs Boston crackpots were quite entertaining. Not more, just entertaining. Thanks trying to revive it.

7. kb2408 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Love has made it clear he wants out.Minnesota dissed him in his last contract negotiations and then turned around and gave a lesser player the key to the franchise. Rubio has the potential to be great, Love is already great. Love wants to play for the Lakers. Him pushing for a trade there is not far fetched. If you’re not a Lakers fan I know you don’t want to see it happen but the Lakers usually get who the go after. If they really want Love bad enough they will probably get him.

8. urodaddy07 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I hope LA doesn’t trade him. I seriously think the problem that Pau and Howard have playing together is due to poor coaching. D’Antoni is the wrong coach for this team. He has not adapted his coaching style to match his personnel and worst, does not know how to coach good team defense. These two big men, especially with Pau’s ability to pass the ball should be giving every team fits inside. But D’Antoni has not figured out a way to use them together and that’s a real failure on his part. He is not the right coach for this team, or any team that wants to go all the way, because you can’t win a championship if you don’t play defense night in and night out.

9. themagicfanguy - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:53 PM

@Lakerluver Just stop, it’s hard to believe you’re even being serious when you post such ridiculous comments. Pau for Love WILL NOT HAPPEN, no matter how hard you fantasize about it or try to rationalize it. You mention the D12 trade, but you forgot to mention that ORL got three 1st round draft picks(5 if you count Vucevic and Harkless) and Afflalo in that trade. The Lakers do not have picks to trade, their only trade assets are Gasol, Clark, Meeks, and maybe Jamison. There is zero chance that L.A. gets a high caliber player(Love, Smith, etc.) for any combination of those players. L.A. will trade Gasol, but they would be wiser to trade him for picks or young talent to surround Dwight with.

10. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM

@loungefly
    my thoughts exactly!

11. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:22 PM

“Pepsi and Coke are interchangeable”?? Dude, what kinda sicko are you?!! Coke is the LAKERS of soft drink!

12. misterdreamer119 - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Put on your big boy pants pau.

13. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM

You never here a”true” Yankees fan say they cheer for the Mets too. Or you never here a White Sox fan say they root for the Cubs too. A Jets and a Giants fan both? Never! I bet you base your allegiance on whichever L.A. team is the better team at the time. Whatever, sir.

14. omniusprime - Mar 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Nice to see Pau coming back much earlier than expected. A good thing considering Kobe’s ailing ankle. Did Kobe playing hurt influence Pau’s decision to hasten his return?

Dang Kurt can’t you get over that trade Gasol garbage you keep spouting all too often? I would much rather see Dumbtoni fired and a better coach brought in who knows how to utilize Pau’s talents rather than see Gasol traded away for some garbage player. Pau helped the Lakers win two championships and he can help them win a few more if Dumbtoni is smart enough to start him and utilize him alongside Howard.

The Lakers need to trade Trash Nash and Steve Flake for some great young point guard like Kyrie Irving, Nash is too slow and doesn’t play defense.

Go Kobe!!! Keep Gasol!!! Fire Dumbtoni!!! Trade Nash!!! Thanks Dr. Buss!!!

Woodson, D'Antoni's coaching futures