Mar 15, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Mark Cuban is right — some Lakers fans can get really touchy and defensive. Trust me, I had a Lakers blog for years and trying to have a smart, thoughtful conversation about the team can be challenging at time because some fans are zealots about the team beyond the point of rationality.
A few weeks back Cuban was talking about the NBA’s increasing salary cap and used the Lakers amnestying Kobe Bryant as an example (Kobe will make $30 million next season). Rational people knew what he was doing, talking about cap impact — he went on to say the Lakers wouldn’t amnesty Kobe for the same reasons he would never amnesty Dirk Nowitizki — but it blew up and became a thing. A thing to the point the Lakers responded to something that didn’t need responding to.
Kobe responded by dropping 38 on the Mavericks then tweeting “amnesty that!” That’s the real danger of talking about Kobe, he takes it out on you on the court.
Cuban was on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Leno asked him about that and Cuban, on threat of a fine from the league, was having no part of it. But he’s right on about “twitter courage” and in a broader sense how the anonymity of the Internet allows people to be a******* without consequence.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 18
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 18
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 8
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay