On Leno Cuban talks about how he can’t talk about Kobe

Mar 15, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Mark Cuban is right — some Lakers fans can get really touchy and defensive. Trust me, I had a Lakers blog for years and trying to have a smart, thoughtful conversation about the team can be challenging at time because some fans are zealots about the team beyond the point of rationality.

A few weeks back Cuban was talking about the NBA’s increasing salary cap and used the Lakers amnestying Kobe Bryant as an example (Kobe will make $30 million next season). Rational people knew what he was doing, talking about cap impact — he went on to say the Lakers wouldn’t amnesty Kobe for the same reasons he would never amnesty Dirk Nowitizki — but it blew up and became a thing. A thing to the point the Lakers responded to something that didn’t need responding to.

Kobe responded by dropping 38 on the Mavericks then tweeting “amnesty that!” That’s the real danger of talking about Kobe, he takes it out on you on the court.

Cuban was on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno and Leno asked him about that and Cuban, on threat of a fine from the league, was having no part of it. But he’s right on about “twitter courage” and in a broader sense how the anonymity of the Internet allows people to be a******* without consequence.

1. teambringitstrong - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Well Kurt, if the Lakers didn’t need to respond, then you didn’t need to write an article about it. BTW, when you need to say ‘trust me’, the trust is gone.
    Off my soapbox now. Happy Friday.

2. bougin89 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Reading the definition of zealot it almost seems like being a zealot is an addiction.

So it’s really not Lakeluver’s fault that his comments come across as totally irrational and fanatical and he has to type LAKERS instead of lakers or Lakers…I mean, it’s not his fault, he’s a zealot.

• HotHotHeat - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM

lol

• acdc363 - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Literally my thoughts exactly! That whole first paragraph was about lakerluver LOL!

3. lucifershuttlesworth - Mar 15, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Dude you still have a Lakers blog don’t kid yourself.

• Distinguished Male - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:59 PM

*snicker*

4. musician0785 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:15 PM

if lakerluver is a zealot the what do u call magicbuc, progress2011, dannymac17, and 1972wasalongtimeago?

• acdc363 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I’ve never seen 1972 act anywhere near as obnoxius as lakerluver. I can’t speak for anyone else on that list though.

• dannymac17 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Not sure what I am a zealot about. I have a firm grasp of reality, I never said my Clippers are the best team in the NBA. I just go out of my way to make Lakers zealots angry at their keyboards and point out the stupidity in their posts. I am not even sure who you are, but thanks for noticing me.

• hannsta - Mar 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Yup, your a troll not a zealot.

• dannymac17 - Mar 15, 2013 at 9:18 PM

WHat exactly do i troll? i am not sure what your loser ass talking about

• loungefly74 - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM

exactly. good one, sir.

better to be a zealot than a troll. seriously, at least Lakerluver is commenting on the team he cares about and wishes them the best…while the trolls/haters spend a exorbitant amount of time…to discuss…the team…they hate? really? who the F does that? that would be like me spending time on a Celtics’ blog, a Justin Beiber fanpage, or a religious website. I don’t care for that stuff…so why waste time?

ahhh…of course, that was a rhetoric question. those guys suck. they get enjoyment to just “flame” on the Lakers/Laker fans. stir the pot, so to say. hey, its alright, they help make the Lakers the #1 most talked about team on PBT…thanks again, fellas…”troll on!”

5. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:23 PM

You clowns are idiots. Yeah, it is true I love my LAKERS, however, I’m a realist. I know the LAKERS are not going to win a title this season. But the LAKERS are in better position to win titles in the near future than the vast majority of NBA franchises are. And whether you choose to acknowledge it, or not, the LAKERS are still the league’s preeminent franchise. Accept it, clowns.
    As for that little weasel Cuban, he should just enjoy his “one” title and focus on how he’s going to convince Dwight to leave the LAKERS and join Dallas. Good luck with that, Cubes!!

• GT - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha.

• bougin89 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:53 PM

So now you claim to be a realist except before this season everyone that said the Lakers wouldn’t contend were haters/idiots?

If you were a realist you would admit you are a zealot.

• dannymac17 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:54 PM

You and realist you should never be muttered in the same post.

• acdc363 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM

LOL you and bougin are crackin me up!

• loungefly74 - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:25 PM

it aint over till the fat lady sings, my friend. did anyone really think Dallas had a shot before the playoffs started back in 2011? not really.

i’m just being optimistic. that’s all…expectations are real. first thing, lets just secure a play off spot.

Cubes is a joke…BUT, he is good for the NBA.

6. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Hey, ph53, why did you change your username? What a freaking weirdo.

• bougin89 - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I’m going to assume that this comment was meant for me. If my assumption is correct, you are wrong.

7. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

@musician, thanks, bro!
    @acdc, “obnoxious”?…why, because I love the LAKERS? If you were smart so would you, sir.

8. ocgunslinger - Mar 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Lakerluver. I am and have been a Laker Fan since 1960. Dude….you are over the top. Good luck to you though.

9. lakerluver - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM

@bougin/ph53
    The LAKERS were right behind Miami as the pick to win the title this year. All the so called experts said so. So what, we were wrong. However, the LAKERS track record over the past three decades suggest that they will win another title within the next few seasons. If supporting my team and defending them against haters makes me a zealot, so be it, sir. I’m fine with that.

• aboogy123456 - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM

please stop giving up on the season already and conceding that the lakers don’t have a chance. The truth is, nobody has seen what this team can be so it’s unfair to say they don’t have a chance, especially when they have Dwight and Kobe.

• bougin89 - Mar 17, 2013 at 1:32 AM

0 likes 16 dislikes(and counting)

10. leogatlin - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM

It’s funny that fans of other teams find it necessary to make Laker fans feel guilty for riding with a winning tradition. First off, define what a Clipper fan is? Do you even know what champions get for winning? Just ask 90% of the last laker players…I’m sorry ask the couple you have a on your team because thats the closest you will get…

11. kb2408 - Mar 15, 2013 at 2:59 PM

@lakerluver…fan is an abbreviation for fanatic.There is nothing wrong about being a fanatic for your favorite team. Fans of opposing teams hate us Lakers fans because
    A. we are die hard, loyal fans
    B. the Lakers consistently win big
    C. the Lakers get players their favorite team can’t acquire
    D. Los Angeles is beautiful
    E. All of the above

12. michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 15, 2013 at 4:39 PM

Mark Cuban. There, my post is the most relevant.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches