Mar 15, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like I like a good IPA. Which is a lot.
• It’s not a myth — Rajon Rondo is verifiably statistically better on nationally televised games than others.
• Speaking of the Celtics, here is a great feature on D.J. White and his path to Boston and the NBA. Which is a heck of a trip.
• It’s not just the Celtics, there are a lot of green NBA St. Patrick’s Day jerseys. The Bulls one is cool. However, if you’re a Lakers fan and buy a green Lakers pullover you need help. And a lesson in history.
• In the first question of his chat, NBA CBA guru Larry Coon gives a great breakdown of teams options with Andrew Bynum. He said Bynum’s contract will be a real test of the new CBA — will a team give him a max deal despite concerns about his knees? I think the answer will be yes, but they can get protections. Coon lays one of those out that makes sense to me:
An Exhibit 3 (prior injury exclusion) that lets his team waive him if he’s unable to play as a result of his (specific) prior injuries. (This is what the T-Wolves have with Brandon Roy.)
• I’m going to be up front here — Adrian Dantley is one of my favorite all time NBA players. The 6’5″ guy who could post up long before some guys like MJ and Kobe made it trendy. Deadspin tells us he’s still working — as a crossing guard. No, not for the money (he has plenty of that still, the man is legendarily frugal) but because it helps cover his insurance. Which brings us to the question of why the league doesn’t have some sort of insurance for former players, but we don’t have time to discuss how that will never get approved even though it would be the right thing to do. Bottom line, Adrian Dantley is a crossing guard.
• An interesting look at the 2008 Rockets team that won 22 games in a row. The other three teams to break that streak are the title teams of he 1971 Milwaukee Bucks and the 1972 Los Angeles Lakers. We’ll see with the Heat. But that Rockets team was just not that good and lost in the first round, they are the outlier.
• You probably knew this, but Magic GM Rob Hennigan and OKC GM Sam Presti are tight.
• Some drat prospects you will not see in the NCAA Tournament, by ESPN’s Chad Ford (behind the ESPN pay wall).
• By the way, March Madness is hard on your company’s computer network.
• Finally, LeBron James threw down a few dunks pregame in Philadelphia (he slowed down on that since the silly controversy).
Apr 20, 2014, 12:44 AM EDT
OKC led by as many as 25 points in the first half.
Apr 19, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Roy Hibbert wasn’t good in Game 1 against the Hawks, and this play epitomized his performance.
Apr 19, 2014, 10:01 PM EDT
The eight-seed Hawks blowout the Pacers in Game 1.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Blake Griffin totally did this on purpose.
Apr 19, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Warriors steal Game 1 in Los Angeles.
Apr 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
It looked good as soon as it left his hands.
Apr 19, 2014, 4:06 PM EDT
Playoff games are played in the halfcourt and the Nets owned that in Game 1.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
A rare and raw show of emotion from a team’s GM was caught on camera.
Nash to Nowitzki: ‘What would you do if you were me? Would you come back?’ Dirk: ‘I’m not sure, bro.’ (VIDEO)
Apr 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Dirk Nowizki is brutally honest.
Apr 19, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT
“Garnett and Pierce are so old the Raptor had to ask his dad about them.”
Apr 19, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Words continue to be exchanged between two teams that clearly don’t like each other.
Apr 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
The owners are behind Silver’s effort to raise the age limit. Now there’s just the pesky matter of negotiating with the players’ union.
Apr 19, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
You can construct a scenario where the Pacers are in trouble… except they play the Hawks.
Apr 19, 2014, 2:15 AM EDT
Making your playoff preview reading convenient.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:54 AM EDT
Grizzlies’ guard will definitely be missed in the rotation.
Apr 19, 2014, 1:50 AM EDT
We may not see him on the sidelines of TNT games these playoffs.
Apr 18, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
This should be the East’s most competitive first round matchup.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:31 PM EDT
How quickly can Miami flip the switch?
Apr 18, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Can the Pacers regain their early-season swagger now that the playoffs are here?
Apr 18, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
Expect a fight by the end of Game 2.