Mar 15, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like I like a good IPA. Which is a lot.
• It’s not a myth — Rajon Rondo is verifiably statistically better on nationally televised games than others.
• Speaking of the Celtics, here is a great feature on D.J. White and his path to Boston and the NBA. Which is a heck of a trip.
• It’s not just the Celtics, there are a lot of green NBA St. Patrick’s Day jerseys. The Bulls one is cool. However, if you’re a Lakers fan and buy a green Lakers pullover you need help. And a lesson in history.
• In the first question of his chat, NBA CBA guru Larry Coon gives a great breakdown of teams options with Andrew Bynum. He said Bynum’s contract will be a real test of the new CBA — will a team give him a max deal despite concerns about his knees? I think the answer will be yes, but they can get protections. Coon lays one of those out that makes sense to me:
An Exhibit 3 (prior injury exclusion) that lets his team waive him if he’s unable to play as a result of his (specific) prior injuries. (This is what the T-Wolves have with Brandon Roy.)
• I’m going to be up front here — Adrian Dantley is one of my favorite all time NBA players. The 6’5″ guy who could post up long before some guys like MJ and Kobe made it trendy. Deadspin tells us he’s still working — as a crossing guard. No, not for the money (he has plenty of that still, the man is legendarily frugal) but because it helps cover his insurance. Which brings us to the question of why the league doesn’t have some sort of insurance for former players, but we don’t have time to discuss how that will never get approved even though it would be the right thing to do. Bottom line, Adrian Dantley is a crossing guard.
• An interesting look at the 2008 Rockets team that won 22 games in a row. The other three teams to break that streak are the title teams of he 1971 Milwaukee Bucks and the 1972 Los Angeles Lakers. We’ll see with the Heat. But that Rockets team was just not that good and lost in the first round, they are the outlier.
• You probably knew this, but Magic GM Rob Hennigan and OKC GM Sam Presti are tight.
• Some drat prospects you will not see in the NCAA Tournament, by ESPN’s Chad Ford (behind the ESPN pay wall).
• By the way, March Madness is hard on your company’s computer network.
• Finally, LeBron James threw down a few dunks pregame in Philadelphia (he slowed down on that since the silly controversy).
Jun 30, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
This could be decided quickly.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
This was expected, there is no drama here.
Report: Tim Duncan, Tony Parker part of Spurs pitch to LaMarcus Aldridge (and they may be favorites)
Jun 30, 2015, 1:01 AM EDT
The Spurs are right at the front of the line with the Lakers to win Aldridge over.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
We knew Korver would need ankle surgery, but this is a bit of a surprise.
Jun 29, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Aldridge is expected to leave Portland, and the most recent report has the Lakers as the frontrunners to retain his services.
Jun 29, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Clippers remain frontrunners to retain Jordan’s services; Lakers, Mavericks also in the mix.
Jun 29, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Antic was with the Hawks the last two seasons.
Jun 29, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Davis is looking for a multi-year deal.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:50 PM EDT
The bottom line is this: Butler is going to be a Bull next season.
Jun 29, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
The first rule of trading a player is to not look like you want to trade that player.
Jun 29, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
Kind of hard to picture him going to the Raptors considering the other options on the table.
Jun 29, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
The real question for Wade and his effort to leverage the Heat: Who is going to give him more money than Miami?
Jun 29, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
The report says $12 million a year for Afflalo, that price seems steep.
Jun 29, 2015, 3:18 PM EDT
They are trying to keep those two while dealing Joe Johnson and Deron Williams.
Jun 29, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
Expect the Bledsoe drama to play out through the summer. Again.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT
He has more leverage this way, can get a longer deal.
Jun 29, 2015, 1:24 PM EDT
Doesn’t Butler strike you as the kind of veteran the Spurs bring in and he’s rejuvenated?
Jun 29, 2015, 12:44 PM EDT
The question is only what length of contract Love will sign.
Jun 29, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Where is Wade going to find a better deal on the open market?
Jun 29, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
Stan Van Gundy’s offense doesn’t really fit two traditional bigs.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30