Mar 14, 2013, 8:58 AM EST
The Knicks have some point guards on the roster — Raymond Felton starts and is solid at least and good many nights. Behind him are veterans Jason Kidd and Pablo Prigioni, two guys who play smart but are not exactly explosive shot creators anymore.
Which is why the Knicks are looking at bringing in another point guard to add some athleticism to an older bench. Yes, they could use depth up front more, but there are no impact big men on the free agent market, there are impact guards, however.
But to do that they have to buyout someone on the 15-man roster. And James White, you’re the guy, reports Jared Zwerling at ESPNNewYork.com.
But a source close to the Knicks said that if the team released or bought out a player — possibly James White as Woodson is too committed to Wallace — they would likely not sign a big….
The source said that point guard Delonte West makes the most sense for the Knicks. Also available is Sundiata Gaines, 26, who averaged 5.1 points, 2.2 assists and one steal in 14 minutes per game last season for the Nets, but he’s not regarded as highly in NBA circles.
West also is a disruptive force on teams — he player friendly Mavericks suspended him twice and let him go before the season. There’s a reason he’s still on the market and it’s not that he can’t play. But the Knicks have been pedestrian since their hot start and they need to change that dynamic around, and West may be able to do that in a way Gaines or the other guys on the market cannot.
If White is let go another team likely picks him up pretty quickly.
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 0
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 7
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 31