Mar 14, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
The Knicks have some point guards on the roster — Raymond Felton starts and is solid at least and good many nights. Behind him are veterans Jason Kidd and Pablo Prigioni, two guys who play smart but are not exactly explosive shot creators anymore.
Which is why the Knicks are looking at bringing in another point guard to add some athleticism to an older bench. Yes, they could use depth up front more, but there are no impact big men on the free agent market, there are impact guards, however.
But to do that they have to buyout someone on the 15-man roster. And James White, you’re the guy, reports Jared Zwerling at ESPNNewYork.com.
But a source close to the Knicks said that if the team released or bought out a player — possibly James White as Woodson is too committed to Wallace — they would likely not sign a big….
The source said that point guard Delonte West makes the most sense for the Knicks. Also available is Sundiata Gaines, 26, who averaged 5.1 points, 2.2 assists and one steal in 14 minutes per game last season for the Nets, but he’s not regarded as highly in NBA circles.
West also is a disruptive force on teams — he player friendly Mavericks suspended him twice and let him go before the season. There’s a reason he’s still on the market and it’s not that he can’t play. But the Knicks have been pedestrian since their hot start and they need to change that dynamic around, and West may be able to do that in a way Gaines or the other guys on the market cannot.
If White is let go another team likely picks him up pretty quickly.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49