Mar 14, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
The Knicks have some point guards on the roster — Raymond Felton starts and is solid at least and good many nights. Behind him are veterans Jason Kidd and Pablo Prigioni, two guys who play smart but are not exactly explosive shot creators anymore.
Which is why the Knicks are looking at bringing in another point guard to add some athleticism to an older bench. Yes, they could use depth up front more, but there are no impact big men on the free agent market, there are impact guards, however.
But to do that they have to buyout someone on the 15-man roster. And James White, you’re the guy, reports Jared Zwerling at ESPNNewYork.com.
But a source close to the Knicks said that if the team released or bought out a player — possibly James White as Woodson is too committed to Wallace — they would likely not sign a big….
The source said that point guard Delonte West makes the most sense for the Knicks. Also available is Sundiata Gaines, 26, who averaged 5.1 points, 2.2 assists and one steal in 14 minutes per game last season for the Nets, but he’s not regarded as highly in NBA circles.
West also is a disruptive force on teams — he player friendly Mavericks suspended him twice and let him go before the season. There’s a reason he’s still on the market and it’s not that he can’t play. But the Knicks have been pedestrian since their hot start and they need to change that dynamic around, and West may be able to do that in a way Gaines or the other guys on the market cannot.
If White is let go another team likely picks him up pretty quickly.
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 7
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 3
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 12