Mar 14, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT
The NBA’s league office agrees with Kobe Bryant.
Not that it does any good.
Kobe said after the game that Dahntay Jones intentionally stepped under him, didn’t give him room to land and that led to Kobe getting a sprained ankle. Kobe said Jones should have been called for a foul. The league issued a statement that didn’t look into intent but agreed with Kobe.
With 4.9 seconds remaining in the Atlanta Hawks’ 96-92 win over the Los Angeles Lakers on March 13, the Lakers’ Kobe Bryant attempted a jump shot over the Hawks’ Dahntay Jones. After review at the league office, video replay confirmed that referees missed a foul call on Jones as he challenged Bryant’s shot and did not give him the opportunity to land cleanly back on the floor. Bryant should have been granted two free throws.
Lakers fans will say “so what” — that statement and four bucks will get you a latte at Starbucks. It does not change the end of the game, it does not change the ankle sprain Kobe suffered and could miss games because of it.
Kobe spent Thursday trying to limit his time off the court by getting treatment. When Kobe gets injured, he approaches treatment like he approaches working out or attacking the rim off the pick-and-roll — he’s all in.
Between tweets about how bitter he is feeling about the injury, Kobe tweeted that he was going to get one hour of sleep last night so he could keep the treatments going. The Lakers said that on the road Lakers long-time trainer Gary Vitti would have a couple of treatment sessions with Kobe’s ankle.
It’s unlikely that Kobe returns to the court Friday night against Indiana or maybe another few games according to the buzz around the team, but I wouldn’t bet against him trying to get on the court sooner rather than later. Kobe has played through torn ligaments and busted fingers — if it’s not going to make things worse, if it’s a matter of pain management, he’ll go. The problem is with ankles once sprained they are more susceptible to re-injury. Kobe has to get his ankle strong enough to get past that point where it keeps getting injured. And we don’t know where that line is, yet.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47