Mar 14, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
And there is no better place to talk NBA history than the Boston Garden.
Wednesday night Kevin Garnett scored a dozen points and moved past “The Logo,” past Jerry West into 15th on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.
One quarter later Paul Pierce (who had an efficient 15 points on six shots from the field) scored and moved past Charles Barkley into 20 on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.
After the game Garnett spoke about he and Pierce spending time together in their youth, playing in Los Angeles and being friends before taking different paths to the NBA and to Boston. From the Boston Globe.
“What you all don’t know is that Paul and I have history and it’s only right that we come in here and we make history together,” he said. “Thirteen, 14 [years old], tearing up his mom’s living room, breaking vases, almost getting our [butts] whupped. First time I ever experienced Crenshaw [Boulevard] on a Sunday, Paul taking me out being 15, 16 years old. Then finally being able to follow our dreams . . . having some duration together, trying to go to the same school then obviously going different paths then finally meeting up here in Boston, winning a championship, doing the things we’ve been doing since we’ve been here.”
Crenshaw Boulevard is a Los Angeles hangout of cars cruising and people cruising, people of primarily African-American and some Latino descent. It’s a cultural touchstone for many who grow up in Los Angeles.
And while KG and Pierce grew up on the other coast, they came of age in Boston.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8