Mar 14, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
And there is no better place to talk NBA history than the Boston Garden.
Wednesday night Kevin Garnett scored a dozen points and moved past “The Logo,” past Jerry West into 15th on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.
One quarter later Paul Pierce (who had an efficient 15 points on six shots from the field) scored and moved past Charles Barkley into 20 on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.
After the game Garnett spoke about he and Pierce spending time together in their youth, playing in Los Angeles and being friends before taking different paths to the NBA and to Boston. From the Boston Globe.
“What you all don’t know is that Paul and I have history and it’s only right that we come in here and we make history together,” he said. “Thirteen, 14 [years old], tearing up his mom’s living room, breaking vases, almost getting our [butts] whupped. First time I ever experienced Crenshaw [Boulevard] on a Sunday, Paul taking me out being 15, 16 years old. Then finally being able to follow our dreams . . . having some duration together, trying to go to the same school then obviously going different paths then finally meeting up here in Boston, winning a championship, doing the things we’ve been doing since we’ve been here.”
Crenshaw Boulevard is a Los Angeles hangout of cars cruising and people cruising, people of primarily African-American and some Latino descent. It’s a cultural touchstone for many who grow up in Los Angeles.
And while KG and Pierce grew up on the other coast, they came of age in Boston.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30