Mar 14, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
And there is no better place to talk NBA history than the Boston Garden.
Wednesday night Kevin Garnett scored a dozen points and moved past “The Logo,” past Jerry West into 15th on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.
One quarter later Paul Pierce (who had an efficient 15 points on six shots from the field) scored and moved past Charles Barkley into 20 on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.
After the game Garnett spoke about he and Pierce spending time together in their youth, playing in Los Angeles and being friends before taking different paths to the NBA and to Boston. From the Boston Globe.
“What you all don’t know is that Paul and I have history and it’s only right that we come in here and we make history together,” he said. “Thirteen, 14 [years old], tearing up his mom’s living room, breaking vases, almost getting our [butts] whupped. First time I ever experienced Crenshaw [Boulevard] on a Sunday, Paul taking me out being 15, 16 years old. Then finally being able to follow our dreams . . . having some duration together, trying to go to the same school then obviously going different paths then finally meeting up here in Boston, winning a championship, doing the things we’ve been doing since we’ve been here.”
Crenshaw Boulevard is a Los Angeles hangout of cars cruising and people cruising, people of primarily African-American and some Latino descent. It’s a cultural touchstone for many who grow up in Los Angeles.
And while KG and Pierce grew up on the other coast, they came of age in Boston.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43