Mar 14, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT
P.J. Carlesimo realizes that the Nets are in danger of being a one-and-done playoff team and that he doesn’t have a lot of weapons to turn to that can change that around. His hands are pretty tied.
So he’s going to take one more look at what he’s already got. Carlesimo tried heavy doses of Mirza Teletovic and MarShon Brooks, and after seeing that he’s going to take another look at veterans Kris Humphries and Jerry Stackhouse, reports Stefan Bondy at the New York Daily News.
“We gotta get Hump in the lineup back soon,” Carlesimo said. “His conditioning is good. He’s done a lot of extra stuff with (trainer Jeremy Bettle). The thing he hasn’t done is be on the floor in a while….”
Carlesimo said he also plans to bring back in the mix Jerry Stackhouse, who hasn’t played since Jan. 26.
“Just making decisions,” Carlesimo said. “We’ve been trying to look at Mirza a lot and MarShon (Brooks) to an extent, but we’ve got to look at other guys too.”
Humphries was yanked from the rotation just more than two weeks ago. Teletovic has potentially a more rounded game than Humphries, but he’s still adjusting to the NBA. Teletovic’s shot was off and he was a defensive liability.
Humphries plays to his strengths — rebounding, taking chip shots on offense, being physical — and doesn’t stray often into what he doesn’t do well. There’s something to be said for that on a playoff team.
But hopefully Brooks still gets a lot of burn, because they need his athleticism.
Still, Carlesimo has seen the landscape and is looking for anything that will work on his roster.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40