Mar 14, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
It happens every year after the All-Star break (if not earlier in some places) — fans of struggling teams start to root for their team to lose. They want a top draft spot and the best way to get that is to hope for better lottery odds. Fans root for their team to lose so they can rack up more Ping-Pong balls.
But at what point should a fans flip off that switch?
The lottery bound Philadelphia 76ers were leading the Miami Heat last night late when team CEO Adam Aron sent off this tweet (thanks to CSNPhilly.com for the heads up):
Just for 3 minutes and 37 seconds can we forget about ping pong balls. Sixers lead Heat 87-85 deep in Q4.—
Adam Aron (@SixersCEOAdam) March 14, 2013
So where is that line? Yes, the Sixers went on to lose, but as a Philly fan you can’t root for it at that point, can you?
Personally, I could never root for my team to lose. I may not be as disappointed with the outcome if it helped on the draft board, but I couldn’t imagine myself ever rooting for a team I cared about to lose.
And especially not if you’re close to doing something like breaking the Heat’s streak. That win is a far better sports experience than another Ping-Pong ball.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 3
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 12
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (59)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights