Mar 13, 2013, 1:06 PM EST
Jerry Stackhouse’s NBA career is a fascinating one.
When he was drafted by the Philadelphia 76ers back in 1995 he was the new face of the franchise, the star, the guy the Sixers were hitching their team to, something he recounts in a great feature at CSNPhilly.com. He remembers getting a hardhat, under-construction tour of what is now the Wells Fargo Center. That was going to be his house.
The next year, the Sixers drafted Allen Iverson and their plans changed.
Stackhouse has spent 18 years in the league, as a guy nearly putting up 30 a game in Detroit (2001) and as the sixth man on a finals team in Dallas (2006). Now he’s the sage veteran at the end of the bench in Brooklyn, a guy very much respected by players and coaches alike around the league.
Stackhouse would like to play 20 years in the NBA, he doesn’t want to walk away yet, he told CSNPhilly.com. But he has started to think about what’s next.
He mentioned broadcasting and coaching as possible options as well — and he would appear to be particularly well-suited for the latter, given the various roles he has filled during his playing career.
“My perfect route would be something like Mark Jackson,” he said, referring to the former broadcaster and current Golden State coach.
Go read the entire story, it’s a great look at the man. Stackhouse goes on to talk about Iverson and how the two likely never would have meshed on the court because of playing styles. And he talks about his versatility and lack of ego, which is why Stackhouse is still getting an NBA paycheck and Iverson is not.
Stackhouse would like to collect a few more of those paychecks before he is done.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)