Mar 13, 2013, 1:39 PM EDT
Right now, everything is in flux with the NBA players union. Billy Hunter has been voted out but is bringing a lawsuit regarding his firing, and right now the two sides are just trying to negotiate a price to end it.
Meanwhile, a lot of issues that were left on the table during the last round of Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiations are still on the table. Things like modifying the NBA’s age-limit rule (the league would like it higher, the players want it eliminated).
David Stern will be on Mike Krzyzewski’s SiriusXM radio show tonight and Coach K asked Stern about the changes coming to the union.
“I think it is only to the good. It’s fair to say that while this matter has been percolating in the union they haven’t been as proactive as they could be on a variety of what we used to call ‘b-list’ issues, for player development, even discussions further with the NCAA about when players should be eligible. A wide variety of things. We’re looking for a partner that can really make life better for our players, would-be players, sort of the social welfare task of a union, together with growing the game so that everyone prospers. And then at some future date we’ll argue about how to split up the sum of all of the growth we’ve worked on together. So we see it as a significant opportunity once it gets itself settled down.”
The entire interview, and the Coach K show, airs Wednesday night 7:00 pm ET on Mad Dog Radio (SiriusXM channel 86) and at 11:00 pm ET on SiriusXM College Sports Nation (channel 91).
What the union needs in a leader is twofold. One, a guy who can run the union and its day-to-day business efficiently. Second, a guy who can go toe-to-toe with Adam Silver in 2018 during the next round of CBA negotiations.
But in a lot of ways it would be good for fans if would could find a less contentious way to get questions like the age limit settled. CBA negotiations are going to always be a fight, but the union also needs to be more in the center of some player safety (concussion), PED discussions and more.
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 3
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 34
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 79
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 3
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11