Mar 13, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
And this news will be greeted by a shrug from Raptors fans.
After missing much of the season with an elbow injury he returned recently and played an uninspired 14 games. On the season Bargnani is averaging 12.7 points a game and is shooting 31 percent from three.
Last Friday against the Lakers he tweaked the same elbow and has been out since getting tests. The Raptors announced on Wednesday that the tests showed Andrea Bargnani needs to be shut down for the rest of the season.
Plenty of Raptors fans hope that they have seen the last of Bargnani in a Toronto uniform. But they probably haven’t, unless the team decides to amnesty him this summer. The Raptors shopped Bargnani hard at the trade deadline, but there were no takers. Mostly because he has two years, $22 million left on his contract after this season. No team is likely to trade for a guy with a massive contract who has been out injured and seen his production fall off a cliff. Teams will want to see him play before even thinking trade.
The bigger concern of late in Toronto is that Rudy Gay’s back flared up and he missed the game Sunday against Cleveland and will be a game-time decision Wednesday in Boston. So no Bargnani, no Gay. Basically, Terrence Ross fans should tune into the game as their guy could get a lot of run.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 49
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 35
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18