Mar 13, 2013, 11:01 AM EST
And this news will be greeted by a shrug from Raptors fans.
After missing much of the season with an elbow injury he returned recently and played an uninspired 14 games. On the season Bargnani is averaging 12.7 points a game and is shooting 31 percent from three.
Last Friday against the Lakers he tweaked the same elbow and has been out since getting tests. The Raptors announced on Wednesday that the tests showed Andrea Bargnani needs to be shut down for the rest of the season.
Plenty of Raptors fans hope that they have seen the last of Bargnani in a Toronto uniform. But they probably haven’t, unless the team decides to amnesty him this summer. The Raptors shopped Bargnani hard at the trade deadline, but there were no takers. Mostly because he has two years, $22 million left on his contract after this season. No team is likely to trade for a guy with a massive contract who has been out injured and seen his production fall off a cliff. Teams will want to see him play before even thinking trade.
The bigger concern of late in Toronto is that Rudy Gay’s back flared up and he missed the game Sunday against Cleveland and will be a game-time decision Wednesday in Boston. So no Bargnani, no Gay. Basically, Terrence Ross fans should tune into the game as their guy could get a lot of run.
- Carmelo Anthony sits out second half vs. Portland with sore knee 0
- LeBron, after Cavaliers lose by 23 at home to Pistons: ‘Right now we are not very good. In every aspect of the game’ 29
- Paul Pierce ‘shocked’ by Celtics trade of Rajon Rondo to Mavericks 16
- Kobe Bryant will return to Lakers lineup Sunday vs. Suns 15
- Kevin Love benched entire fourth quarter of Cavaliers win over Magic 30
- PBT’s Top 10 NBA stories of 2014, No. 10: Anthony Davis’ breakout 19
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 12
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 15