Mar 13, 2013, 11:01 AM EDT
And this news will be greeted by a shrug from Raptors fans.
After missing much of the season with an elbow injury he returned recently and played an uninspired 14 games. On the season Bargnani is averaging 12.7 points a game and is shooting 31 percent from three.
Last Friday against the Lakers he tweaked the same elbow and has been out since getting tests. The Raptors announced on Wednesday that the tests showed Andrea Bargnani needs to be shut down for the rest of the season.
Plenty of Raptors fans hope that they have seen the last of Bargnani in a Toronto uniform. But they probably haven’t, unless the team decides to amnesty him this summer. The Raptors shopped Bargnani hard at the trade deadline, but there were no takers. Mostly because he has two years, $22 million left on his contract after this season. No team is likely to trade for a guy with a massive contract who has been out injured and seen his production fall off a cliff. Teams will want to see him play before even thinking trade.
The bigger concern of late in Toronto is that Rudy Gay’s back flared up and he missed the game Sunday against Cleveland and will be a game-time decision Wednesday in Boston. So no Bargnani, no Gay. Basically, Terrence Ross fans should tune into the game as their guy could get a lot of run.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15