Mar 13, 2013, 10:58 PM EDT
Just when you thought the Lakers were past the injury bug that plagued their early season.
Kobe said after the game this was as bad a sprain as he had dealt with since the 2000 playoffs and he didn’t have a timeline for a return, Trudell tweeted.
The good news is the X-rays were negative. But an ankle sprain could keep even Kobe and his ridiculous pain threshold on the bench for a week or two at a time the Lakers can’t afford to be without their MVP.
The Thunder spanked the Jazz on Wednesday so the Lakers remain just half a game ahead of Utah for the eighth spot in the West and are 1.5 back of the seven-seed Rockets (who have eight of their next nine at home). The Lakers have 16 games left on the schedule.
Kobe sprained his ankle on the Lakers final shot of the game, a baseline jumper where Dahntay Jones contested. Kobe’s left foot came down on Jones’ foot. As he landed you could see his left ankle buckle. He immediately fell to the floor, grabbed it and pain and tried to walk it off, but instead limped to the locker room.
On the replay this did not look like a full on Bruce Bowen intentional slide under the guy move, but Kobe didn’t see it that way according to tweets after the game. He said the league has to protect shooters and compared this to 200o, when he felt Jalen Rose intentionally slid a foot under him (something Rose pretty much owned up to years later).
Jones would have none of that, saying Kobe tried to draw the foul with a leg kick.
It had not been a great Kobe night — he had 31 points but on 11-of-33 shooting. He tried to push a flat Lakers team on the second night of a back-to-back, and he pushed it right to the end, right up to that contested jumper.
But without that kind of nightly push from Kobe it’s hard to see how the Lakers can sustain the kind of winning percentage they have had in recent weeks.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 19
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 25
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14