Mar 12, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
After missing three games Carmelo Anthony was back in the Knicks lineup Monday night against Golden State and he looked… slow.
Part of it was just conditioning and needing to get his legs back. He had 14 points (on 4-of-15 shooting) and 10 boards on what was a generally terrible night for any player in a Knicks uniform. But Anthony didn’t look anything like the guy who was in the middle of the MVP conversation early in the season.
And what’s worse is he said he still doesn’t really know what is going on with his knee, reports Mitch Lawrence at the Daily News.
But he also dropped a little bombshell beforehand when asked what the team doctors had finally determined was causing fluid to build up on the knee, resulting in stiffness in the leg.
“Nobody can really give me an exact answer,’’ he said.
Which is why it was idiotic for Mike Woodson not to take Anthony out early in the third quarter when the game got out of hand for the Knicks (who trailed by 27 at one point). And that’s why it was a borderline fireable offense that Woodson put Anthony back in for a four-minute stint in the fourth quarter.
All Anthony really knew was that whatever is going on didn’t require surgery. He was emphatic. We’ll see if he feels that way come the summer.
Right now injuries are taking their toll on the Knicks — Amare Stoudemire is out, Anthony is slowed and the list of other ailments around the team is too long to list here. Woodson has to balance seedings with rest for guys down the stretch, but rest and health has to win out. Because the Knicks need to look a lot fresher than they did Monday night come the playoffs.
And that has to start with getting whatever is going on with Anthony’s knee right.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 18
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47