Mar 12, 2013, 10:29 AM EDT
After missing three games Carmelo Anthony was back in the Knicks lineup Monday night against Golden State and he looked… slow.
Part of it was just conditioning and needing to get his legs back. He had 14 points (on 4-of-15 shooting) and 10 boards on what was a generally terrible night for any player in a Knicks uniform. But Anthony didn’t look anything like the guy who was in the middle of the MVP conversation early in the season.
And what’s worse is he said he still doesn’t really know what is going on with his knee, reports Mitch Lawrence at the Daily News.
But he also dropped a little bombshell beforehand when asked what the team doctors had finally determined was causing fluid to build up on the knee, resulting in stiffness in the leg.
“Nobody can really give me an exact answer,’’ he said.
Which is why it was idiotic for Mike Woodson not to take Anthony out early in the third quarter when the game got out of hand for the Knicks (who trailed by 27 at one point). And that’s why it was a borderline fireable offense that Woodson put Anthony back in for a four-minute stint in the fourth quarter.
All Anthony really knew was that whatever is going on didn’t require surgery. He was emphatic. We’ll see if he feels that way come the summer.
Right now injuries are taking their toll on the Knicks — Amare Stoudemire is out, Anthony is slowed and the list of other ailments around the team is too long to list here. Woodson has to balance seedings with rest for guys down the stretch, but rest and health has to win out. Because the Knicks need to look a lot fresher than they did Monday night come the playoffs.
And that has to start with getting whatever is going on with Anthony’s knee right.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31