Mar 12, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
Rasheed Wallace has played 20 games for the Knicks this season and after foot surgery is not likely going to make it back with the team this season.
The Knicks are toying with the idea of adding some depth to their banged-up roster as they enter the final stretch of the season, but with a maxed-out roster they would have to cut someone to add anyone.
And Wallace is not a candidate to be cut, coach Mike Woodson told Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
But when Woodson was asked if he has reconsidering waiving Wallace, a player he convinced to come out of two-year retirement, the head coach said: “I don’t know where that came from. That was you guys (in the media). I never made that statement about waiving Rasheed. Rasheed still has a chance to bounce back as well but again as we go up this road we’ve just got to wait and see…”
Woodson admitted that he is approaching the remainder of the regular season as if he won’t have either Stoudemire or Wallace. He then revealed that he intends to speak with general manager Glen Grunwald next week about adding a player.
Wallace and Amare Stoudemire are out until the playoffs, but other guys — including Carmelo Anthony — look like they could use some time off. The Knicks could use another body on the roster, but to do that means making a cut of another healthy player.
If not Wallace then… James White? Who else could the Knicks just buy out and not miss?
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 0
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 8
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7