Mar 12, 2013, 2:59 PM EST
Rasheed Wallace has played 20 games for the Knicks this season and after foot surgery is not likely going to make it back with the team this season.
The Knicks are toying with the idea of adding some depth to their banged-up roster as they enter the final stretch of the season, but with a maxed-out roster they would have to cut someone to add anyone.
And Wallace is not a candidate to be cut, coach Mike Woodson told Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
But when Woodson was asked if he has reconsidering waiving Wallace, a player he convinced to come out of two-year retirement, the head coach said: “I don’t know where that came from. That was you guys (in the media). I never made that statement about waiving Rasheed. Rasheed still has a chance to bounce back as well but again as we go up this road we’ve just got to wait and see…”
Woodson admitted that he is approaching the remainder of the regular season as if he won’t have either Stoudemire or Wallace. He then revealed that he intends to speak with general manager Glen Grunwald next week about adding a player.
Wallace and Amare Stoudemire are out until the playoffs, but other guys — including Carmelo Anthony — look like they could use some time off. The Knicks could use another body on the roster, but to do that means making a cut of another healthy player.
If not Wallace then… James White? Who else could the Knicks just buy out and not miss?
- The Extra Pass: The league’s leading lineups; plus Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 3
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 32
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 26
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (57)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)