Derrick Rose has no return date, says he just needs to feel “normal”

Mar 12, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT

Some people want there to be a conspiracy — Derrick Rose isn’t playing yet for the Bulls because he’s mad at management about the roster, or it’s adidas, or he’s in Rome voting on the new pope.

Well, we can rule out the last one for sure because Rose was in Sacramento with the Bulls team and spoke with some members of the media.

All those other theories hold about the same weight — Rose is a competitor who wants to be out there but right now is trying to get over the mental aspect of his ACL surgery, of really trusting his knee. That is what Rose told Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.

“Right now, I’m feeling about the same, where my leg is getting a lot stronger. I’m just trying to be patient,” Rose said. “I think I can do everything. It’s just me having the confidence to do it. It’s just me feeling normal.”

Rose, like the rest of us, doesn’t know when or if he’ll play this season.

“I really don’t know. I’m just like you all, where I’m just waiting for that day where I feel normal. Until then, I will just wait,” he said. “I haven’t had any pressure from the organization or anyone to push me out there and just play…

“I don’t have a date, to tell you the truth. I haven’t even really thought about it. Like I said, I’m just taking my time. I haven’t taken any steps back. I’m moving forward, I’m getting stronger every day. I did every workout possible. My workouts are getting a lot easier, but I’m moving in the right direction,” he said. “[My hamstrings are] just waking up. They’re getting a lot stronger, but they’re coming along. I’m moving in the right direction, haven’t taken any steps back.”

The same people killing Rose for not playing through pain are the same ones that would have killed him when he came back early and didn’t look like his old self. Think I’m kidding? Look at what people said about Dwight Howard and Ricky Rubio, two guys who rushed to get back from surgeries and were not fully healthy when they returned to the court and their play suffered. Some fans ripped them. It’s the same ones that would rip them no matter what.

Being patient sucks. It wasn’t fun as an 8-year-old the day before Christmas and it isn’t fun now. But Rose knows his body, he knows his mind and he has to make the call. Anyone who has spoken to Rose or followed him closely at all know there are few as competitive as him, but that cuts two ways. Part of it is he wants to get back on the court. But part of it also is he doesn’t want to come back a shadow if himself and hold the team back. That’s where he’s at right now.

The Bulls have in Rose one of the handful of true franchise anchor, MVP caliber, you can win a title with this guy players in the NBA. This season doesn’t matter, it’s the next five, the next 10. You don’t risk that for games in March. It’s not fun but it’s the reality. It’s up to Rose.

Latest Posts
  1. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s jumper is getting remade. Again.

Sep 15, 2014, 1:07 AM EDT

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist AP

Mark Price worked with him last summer too and it had limited effect.

2. Ricky Rubio never talked to Kevin Love about staying with Timberwolves

Sep 14, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v Orlando Magic Minnesota Timberwolves v Orlando Magic

“If he wanted to leave, there’s no reason to talk to him about it,” Rubio said.

3. USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose)

Sep 14, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT

James Harden James Harden

The celebration was more entertaining than most of the game.

4. Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92

Sep 14, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT

2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup - Day Fourteen Getty Images

With the win the USA is automatically qualified for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

5. Brooklyn Nets top 10 plays of 2014 season (VIDEO)

Sep 14, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Toronto Raptors - Game Five Getty Images

Lots of Paul Pierce and Shaun Livingston, both of whom left Brooklyn this summer in free agency.

6. Report: Earl Clark gets training camp contract with Memphis

Sep 14, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Earl Clark, Miroslav Raduljica AP

It’s a long shot, but he’s at least got his foot in the door somewhere.

7. Hornets coach says team needs to add ‘another big guy’ following Noah Vonleh’s injury

Sep 14, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Noah Vonleh Noah Vonleh

Vonleh will miss all of the preseason, and his new head coach believes that will cost him an early opportunity to enter the rotation.

8. FIBA not expecting to change World Cup format following Australia’s intentional loss

Sep 14, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

2014-FIBA-Basketball-WorldCup

It was obvious that Australia threw the game against Angola to try to avoid Team USA in the tournament for as long as possible.

9. Gordon Hayward calls time with Team USA a ‘confidence booster’

Sep 14, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Team USA Showcase Getty Images

Hayward attended training camp, but didn’t make the final cut to be a part of the 12-man roster.

10. Carmelo Anthony reiterates he’s excited to play in triangle offense

Sep 14, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

New York Knicks v Toronto Raptors Getty Images

Anthony can thrive in the triangle — if he moves the ball.

11. FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold

Sep 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup - Day Eleven Getty Images

Serbia looks on paper to be just another speed bump between the USA and gold.

12. Derrick Rose on his FIBA World Cup performance: ‘I would give it an A’

Sep 13, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Derrick Rose Derrick Rose

Rose has averaged 5.4 points per game on 27.3 percent shooting.

13. France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze

Sep 13, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Nicolas Batum, Jonas Valanciunas Nicolas Batum, Jonas Valanciunas

Bronze was a quality finish for the defending European champions.

14. New Hawks CEO posts open letter to fans: ‘We are very sorry’

Sep 13, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Danny Ferry Danny Ferry

Read the entire letter from Atlanta’s new CEO, which details plans on how he intends to change the team culture.

15. Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks

Sep 13, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v New York Knicks Getty Images

Anthony was very direct in his assessment of the racially insensitive remarks made by the team’s GM and ownership.

16. Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania

Sep 13, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

DeMarcus Cousins caught an elbow too, and the teams had to be separated once the game was over.

How has sale of Hawks made other NBA owners nervous?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches