Derrick Rose has no return date, says he just needs to feel “normal”

Mar 12, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT

Some people want there to be a conspiracy — Derrick Rose isn’t playing yet for the Bulls because he’s mad at management about the roster, or it’s adidas, or he’s in Rome voting on the new pope.

Well, we can rule out the last one for sure because Rose was in Sacramento with the Bulls team and spoke with some members of the media.

All those other theories hold about the same weight — Rose is a competitor who wants to be out there but right now is trying to get over the mental aspect of his ACL surgery, of really trusting his knee. That is what Rose told Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.

“Right now, I’m feeling about the same, where my leg is getting a lot stronger. I’m just trying to be patient,” Rose said. “I think I can do everything. It’s just me having the confidence to do it. It’s just me feeling normal.”

Rose, like the rest of us, doesn’t know when or if he’ll play this season.

“I really don’t know. I’m just like you all, where I’m just waiting for that day where I feel normal. Until then, I will just wait,” he said. “I haven’t had any pressure from the organization or anyone to push me out there and just play…

“I don’t have a date, to tell you the truth. I haven’t even really thought about it. Like I said, I’m just taking my time. I haven’t taken any steps back. I’m moving forward, I’m getting stronger every day. I did every workout possible. My workouts are getting a lot easier, but I’m moving in the right direction,” he said. “[My hamstrings are] just waking up. They’re getting a lot stronger, but they’re coming along. I’m moving in the right direction, haven’t taken any steps back.”

The same people killing Rose for not playing through pain are the same ones that would have killed him when he came back early and didn’t look like his old self. Think I’m kidding? Look at what people said about Dwight Howard and Ricky Rubio, two guys who rushed to get back from surgeries and were not fully healthy when they returned to the court and their play suffered. Some fans ripped them. It’s the same ones that would rip them no matter what.

Being patient sucks. It wasn’t fun as an 8-year-old the day before Christmas and it isn’t fun now. But Rose knows his body, he knows his mind and he has to make the call. Anyone who has spoken to Rose or followed him closely at all know there are few as competitive as him, but that cuts two ways. Part of it is he wants to get back on the court. But part of it also is he doesn’t want to come back a shadow if himself and hold the team back. That’s where he’s at right now.

The Bulls have in Rose one of the handful of true franchise anchor, MVP caliber, you can win a title with this guy players in the NBA. This season doesn’t matter, it’s the next five, the next 10. You don’t risk that for games in March. It’s not fun but it’s the reality. It’s up to Rose.

Latest Posts
  1. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

2. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

3. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

4. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

5. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

6. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

7. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

8. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

9. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

10. Kevin Love finds LeBron James for huge alley-oop slam (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

Highlight-reel play came near the end of a loss to the Nets.

11. LeBron after Cavaliers fall to Nets: ‘You don’t chalk up losses’

Mar 27, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron refused to be dismissive of a seemingly harmless regular season loss.

12. Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers

Mar 27, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT

Orlando Magic add Shaquille O'Neal to team's Hall of Fame Getty Images

O’Neal made the remarks while being inducted into the Orlando Magic Hall of Fame.

13. Draymond Green launches “It’s cool Glen” line of T-shirts in latest banter between him, Doc Rivers

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

b2644bf0-d4c9-11e4-bb85-27743e449672_csg

The battle between Green and Doc Rivers continues in the funniest of ways.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches