Derrick Rose has no return date, says he just needs to feel “normal”

Mar 12, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT

Some people want there to be a conspiracy — Derrick Rose isn’t playing yet for the Bulls because he’s mad at management about the roster, or it’s adidas, or he’s in Rome voting on the new pope.

Well, we can rule out the last one for sure because Rose was in Sacramento with the Bulls team and spoke with some members of the media.

All those other theories hold about the same weight — Rose is a competitor who wants to be out there but right now is trying to get over the mental aspect of his ACL surgery, of really trusting his knee. That is what Rose told Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.

“Right now, I’m feeling about the same, where my leg is getting a lot stronger. I’m just trying to be patient,” Rose said. “I think I can do everything. It’s just me having the confidence to do it. It’s just me feeling normal.”

Rose, like the rest of us, doesn’t know when or if he’ll play this season.

“I really don’t know. I’m just like you all, where I’m just waiting for that day where I feel normal. Until then, I will just wait,” he said. “I haven’t had any pressure from the organization or anyone to push me out there and just play…

“I don’t have a date, to tell you the truth. I haven’t even really thought about it. Like I said, I’m just taking my time. I haven’t taken any steps back. I’m moving forward, I’m getting stronger every day. I did every workout possible. My workouts are getting a lot easier, but I’m moving in the right direction,” he said. “[My hamstrings are] just waking up. They’re getting a lot stronger, but they’re coming along. I’m moving in the right direction, haven’t taken any steps back.”

The same people killing Rose for not playing through pain are the same ones that would have killed him when he came back early and didn’t look like his old self. Think I’m kidding? Look at what people said about Dwight Howard and Ricky Rubio, two guys who rushed to get back from surgeries and were not fully healthy when they returned to the court and their play suffered. Some fans ripped them. It’s the same ones that would rip them no matter what.

Being patient sucks. It wasn’t fun as an 8-year-old the day before Christmas and it isn’t fun now. But Rose knows his body, he knows his mind and he has to make the call. Anyone who has spoken to Rose or followed him closely at all know there are few as competitive as him, but that cuts two ways. Part of it is he wants to get back on the court. But part of it also is he doesn’t want to come back a shadow if himself and hold the team back. That’s where he’s at right now.

The Bulls have in Rose one of the handful of true franchise anchor, MVP caliber, you can win a title with this guy players in the NBA. This season doesn’t matter, it’s the next five, the next 10. You don’t risk that for games in March. It’s not fun but it’s the reality. It’s up to Rose.

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron had 30, Kyrie Irving added 26 to give Cleveland the 2-0 lead in the series.

2. Chandler Parsons out for Game 2, maybe rest of Rockets series

Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT

Devin Harris, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza AP

Devin Harris also out Game 2 for Mavericks

3. Nikola Mirotic could miss Game 3 against Bucks

Apr 21, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls - Game Two Milwaukee Bucks v Chicago Bulls - Game Two

Bulls forward strained knee in scuffle with Zaza Pachulia

4. PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul

Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.

5. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

6. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

7. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

8. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

9. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

10. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2