Derrick Rose has no return date, says he just needs to feel “normal”

Mar 12, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT

Some people want there to be a conspiracy — Derrick Rose isn’t playing yet for the Bulls because he’s mad at management about the roster, or it’s adidas, or he’s in Rome voting on the new pope.

Well, we can rule out the last one for sure because Rose was in Sacramento with the Bulls team and spoke with some members of the media.

All those other theories hold about the same weight — Rose is a competitor who wants to be out there but right now is trying to get over the mental aspect of his ACL surgery, of really trusting his knee. That is what Rose told Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.

“Right now, I’m feeling about the same, where my leg is getting a lot stronger. I’m just trying to be patient,” Rose said. “I think I can do everything. It’s just me having the confidence to do it. It’s just me feeling normal.”

Rose, like the rest of us, doesn’t know when or if he’ll play this season.

“I really don’t know. I’m just like you all, where I’m just waiting for that day where I feel normal. Until then, I will just wait,” he said. “I haven’t had any pressure from the organization or anyone to push me out there and just play…

“I don’t have a date, to tell you the truth. I haven’t even really thought about it. Like I said, I’m just taking my time. I haven’t taken any steps back. I’m moving forward, I’m getting stronger every day. I did every workout possible. My workouts are getting a lot easier, but I’m moving in the right direction,” he said. “[My hamstrings are] just waking up. They’re getting a lot stronger, but they’re coming along. I’m moving in the right direction, haven’t taken any steps back.”

The same people killing Rose for not playing through pain are the same ones that would have killed him when he came back early and didn’t look like his old self. Think I’m kidding? Look at what people said about Dwight Howard and Ricky Rubio, two guys who rushed to get back from surgeries and were not fully healthy when they returned to the court and their play suffered. Some fans ripped them. It’s the same ones that would rip them no matter what.

Being patient sucks. It wasn’t fun as an 8-year-old the day before Christmas and it isn’t fun now. But Rose knows his body, he knows his mind and he has to make the call. Anyone who has spoken to Rose or followed him closely at all know there are few as competitive as him, but that cuts two ways. Part of it is he wants to get back on the court. But part of it also is he doesn’t want to come back a shadow if himself and hold the team back. That’s where he’s at right now.

The Bulls have in Rose one of the handful of true franchise anchor, MVP caliber, you can win a title with this guy players in the NBA. This season doesn’t matter, it’s the next five, the next 10. You don’t risk that for games in March. It’s not fun but it’s the reality. It’s up to Rose.

1. katra2logic - Mar 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I know a lot of ‘thumbs down’ are coming for this comment BUT what if he never feels ‘normal’? What if ‘normal’ means (now) mentally feeling exactly the same way you did before the injury?

D. Rose is one of my favorite players and I think he should just sit out until the beginning of next year, I think the press and pressure (expectations) would be much less in that situation. You can bet that some people will expect him to lead the Bulls to a title if he comes back this year. Starting fresh at the beginning of the a new season (with a training camp) would give him the best chance at feeling ‘normal’ and once again become of the best players in the NBA. Cheers :-)

2. bougin89 - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I definitely have to side with Rose here. If he’s not mentally right about his knee he will be playing not to get hurt and when you do that you’re more injury prone.

• jjsjmls - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

If Rose wants to wait until he feels normal – fine. However, the flip side to that – since he is physically able to play, the Bulls shouldn’t have to pay him until he does play. Fair is fair.

• stayhigh_247 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:37 AM

@jjsjmls
        thats the most ridiculous thing i’ve heard on here in a while. This kid is making the Bulls, the league, Adidas etc a ton of money whether he plays or not! Why shouldn’t he get paid? So if you have a job and get sick, you shouldn’t get paid sick days either? He got injured at work and you think he shouldn’t get paid. Wow dude, you need your head examined!

• jjsjmls - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM

@stayhigh_247

Really, the most ridiculous thing you heard on here in a while? You must not be on much. But, to answer you, yes, I do get paid for a sick day when I don’t work…but when I am no longer sick, if I decide I don’t want to work, then no…I shouldn’t (and wouldn’t) get paid. I need my head examined? No, I don’t think so. He can play – team has cleared him, doctors have cleared him, he is playing in 5 on 5 scrimmages in practice…but he doesn’t want to play in games? As I said – no problem. But since you CAN play, and you WON’T play…no pay.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM

isn’t it the reporters who are ” killing Rose “, I never asked him anything.

3. cosanostra71 - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Take your time D-Rose. We saw what happened with Dwight when he came back too early.

4. drago2012 - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Come on Rose, we need you back!!! I will not ask you to dunk from your left foot or even the right foot. We need you out there because you bring so much energy to the team. Start off with just 10 minutes per half and work your way back. It is not going to happen during your behind the scenes work outs. I will not renew my season tickets or even buy the playoff tickets if you are not back by March 18th. This is from your frustrated BIG fan!!!

• chicitybulls - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:40 PM

You can’t be too much of a fan if you want him to come back before he’s ready. You dont bring a buy back from a serious injury for “energy”.

• chicitybulls - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

a *guy back

5. larrydavid7000 - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM

I don’t watch b ball anymore but its just really SAD that a whole city is waiting for one clown to show up. If I was a player on that team I would be po about the whole situation. Hello their are 11 others on the team. JUST SAD.!!!!!!!!!

• fanofevilempire - Mar 12, 2013 at 5:10 PM

why did you have to call Rose a clown, maybe they are excited about their
      home town boy coming back to lead his team, his team clearly needs him.
      for someone who doesn’t watch you know a lot.

• stayhigh_247 - Mar 13, 2013 at 12:40 AM

@larrydavid7000
      the only clown is you…

6. lakerluver - Mar 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM

@ld7000,
    why is Rose a “clown” in your opinion? Rose is a good kid and good for the league. He’s simply dealing with a lack of confidence because he’s never blown out a knee before. I bet his teammates would prefer he waits to come back when he feels comfortable. They know that he gives max effort when he’s on the court and is not a slacker. Maybe you shouldn’t watch anymore…because it’s obvious you don’t know much about the type of player, and person, Rose has proven to be.

7. charlescub80 - Mar 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM

@jj

I apologize for the fool comment. I didn’t get to what larrydavid had to say. Oh, boy!

8. dalucks - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:07 PM

The return date for Derrick Rose is September 2013.

9. cfos00 - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM

I have zero problem with this, and I don’t anyone else really would if Adrian Peterson hadn’t had an unprecedented recovery from a blown out knee last year. Again, NO ONE else has recovered that quickly from a blown out knee as AP did. It’s normally a one year injury with even more time before the player feels like they used to feel. And with the rosters sitting as it is, we’re at best a long shot to win a championship this year anyway. Take your time, heal, and come back when you’re ready. We last thing we need is for him to come back and get re-injured.

10. glink123 - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I agree. The temptation to play Rose 40-plus minutes in a first-round Game 5 matchup would be too great, and the potential to get hurt again would linger throughout the playoffs. He simply does not have enough games left in the regular season to get himself worked back into shape for meaningful playoff minutes. I think the only part that people are questioning is Bulls mgmt, and whether they knew well before the season that Rose wouldn’t play this year, but held that information back due to the hit they’d take in ticket sales this year.

11. jenniferjjohnson96 - Mar 12, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Reblogged this on prettygirl37 and commented:
    I hate to believe that he is holding out because the bulls have been loosing…..that’s what the media is saying. Does anyone believe that?

12. larrydavid7000 - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM

seems like a lot of sensitive fans here. o well BOO HOO.!!!!!!! Get over him coming back this year and move on. Loser and I know a lot cause that’s all I have to hear about all the time. A city waiting for someone that is not coming back this year.Once again BOO HOO.!!!!!! JUST SAD.

13. myvian - Mar 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Reblogged this on myvian.

14. broncobeta - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I get Rose’s concern, but it’s hard to sympathize with him. He put the expectations high on himself with “The Return” commercials and web series.

After all

15. broncobeta - Mar 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Damn iPhone.

After all of that self press, everyone is expecting him back.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview