Mar 12, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
Some people want there to be a conspiracy — Derrick Rose isn’t playing yet for the Bulls because he’s mad at management about the roster, or it’s adidas, or he’s in Rome voting on the new pope.
Well, we can rule out the last one for sure because Rose was in Sacramento with the Bulls team and spoke with some members of the media.
All those other theories hold about the same weight — Rose is a competitor who wants to be out there but right now is trying to get over the mental aspect of his ACL surgery, of really trusting his knee. That is what Rose told Aggrey Sam of CSNChicago.com.
“Right now, I’m feeling about the same, where my leg is getting a lot stronger. I’m just trying to be patient,” Rose said. “I think I can do everything. It’s just me having the confidence to do it. It’s just me feeling normal.”
Rose, like the rest of us, doesn’t know when or if he’ll play this season.
“I really don’t know. I’m just like you all, where I’m just waiting for that day where I feel normal. Until then, I will just wait,” he said. “I haven’t had any pressure from the organization or anyone to push me out there and just play…
“I don’t have a date, to tell you the truth. I haven’t even really thought about it. Like I said, I’m just taking my time. I haven’t taken any steps back. I’m moving forward, I’m getting stronger every day. I did every workout possible. My workouts are getting a lot easier, but I’m moving in the right direction,” he said. “[My hamstrings are] just waking up. They’re getting a lot stronger, but they’re coming along. I’m moving in the right direction, haven’t taken any steps back.”
The same people killing Rose for not playing through pain are the same ones that would have killed him when he came back early and didn’t look like his old self. Think I’m kidding? Look at what people said about Dwight Howard and Ricky Rubio, two guys who rushed to get back from surgeries and were not fully healthy when they returned to the court and their play suffered. Some fans ripped them. It’s the same ones that would rip them no matter what.
Being patient sucks. It wasn’t fun as an 8-year-old the day before Christmas and it isn’t fun now. But Rose knows his body, he knows his mind and he has to make the call. Anyone who has spoken to Rose or followed him closely at all know there are few as competitive as him, but that cuts two ways. Part of it is he wants to get back on the court. But part of it also is he doesn’t want to come back a shadow if himself and hold the team back. That’s where he’s at right now.
The Bulls have in Rose one of the handful of true franchise anchor, MVP caliber, you can win a title with this guy players in the NBA. This season doesn’t matter, it’s the next five, the next 10. You don’t risk that for games in March. It’s not fun but it’s the reality. It’s up to Rose.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 0
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 2
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 14
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings