Dennis Rodman heads to Vatican, wants to meet with new pope

Mar 12, 2013, 2:17 PM EST

Dennis Rodman, George Stephanopoulos AP

Dennis Rodman, international ambassador?

Apparently, that’s how he pictures himself. Fresh off a trip to North Korea — where he looked the fool upon his return singing the praises of Kim Jung Un to anyone who would listen — he now plans to go to the Vatican and meet with the new Pope. Once they vote a bunch of times and figure out who that will be.

Rodman told his plans to TMZ. Of course.

Rodman tells TMZ … his “people” in Rome have been in touch with the muckety mucks at the Vatican and they’re trying to arrange a sit-down with the next person to don the big funny hat.

As for what Dennis wants to accomplish … he tells TMZ, “I want to be anywhere in the world that I’m needed … I want to spread a message of peace and love throughout the world.”

Peace and love. So Dennis Rodman is the new Joan Baez, just with a few more piercings? Of course, during his playing days peace and love were the cornerstones of Rodman’s game, what we all remember him for, so this is just a natural extension.

I would like to tell you this is the last of Rodman’s overseas adventures, but I think we all know better.

1. 00maltliquor - Mar 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Wow. The Worm’s on a good one man.

• cmehustle - Mar 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Lol! Man he’s on something, I dont know if its a good one tho.

• fanofevilempire - Mar 12, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Don’t count Rodman out, I have a feeling he will do what he said.
      The Catholic Church could use all the help they can get.

• joebone - Mar 12, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Peace, love, and insufferable body odor. Somehow I don’t think he’s going to be that well received.

2. davidly - Mar 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

If any one world leader deserves ridicule, they all deserve ridicule. In this regard, I think Rodman globetrotting as ambassador is wholly appropriate. Except, I kind of like Rodman.

Downside: It feeds the stories about the evils of everyone but the the untouchable and saintly NATO and US.

3. bougin89 - Mar 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I just don’t get it.

4. cosanostra71 - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Worm is an international man of mystery

5. Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Dennis the Diplomat. #Harlem.

6. zerole00 - Mar 12, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I know the church is desperate to connect to the younger generation, but please take my word for this – Dennis Rodman is not the way. He’s the opposite way.

7. skids003 - Mar 13, 2013 at 2:39 PM

How can a human be so stupid?

8. srcoop44 - Mar 14, 2013 at 2:30 AM

LOL…the lefts and the Catholic Church are going to be on the edge of their seats for quite a spell with this Pope.

That election was rather quick. Wow…only 2 days of conclave. When I first saw the white smoke, I couldn’t help but think that one of those old stogies fell asleep and dropped his lit cigar in a trash can or something.

Oh…By the way, does anyone know weather Donald Trump is Catholic or not? If so, I’m willing to bet a million bucks he’s probably clamoring (as we speak) for Bergoglio’s birth certificate and college transcripts. >: – 0 )

9. mcsuave - Mar 15, 2013 at 8:52 AM

This is ridiculous. Great ex ball player who knows NOTHING about politics. He did not represent himself well in sportsmanship and is even worse as an ambassador. Check out his embarrassing interview with George Stefenopolis.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches