Mar 12, 2013, 11:48 AM EST
At the end of this season, Andre Iguodala can walk away from the Nuggets.
He has an early termination option, he can get out of his deal and become a free agent. He could re-sign a longer deal with the Nuggets. Or he could stay put for another season and make a cool $16.2 million next season then test the market in 2014.
“Obviously, you’re talking to your agent and you’re paying attention to trades, and salary caps that are being opened up through sign and trades and other guys who are in the same position as you,” he said. “It’s in the back of your mind. But as far as making a concrete decision, you really don’t size it up until the season’s over, because we have some opportunities to do some really good things here.”
How the suddenly hot Nuggets do in the playoffs, and how far they think they can go in future years, will play into Iggy’s decision. Denver could well reach the second round of the playoffs, particularly if they can get home court in the first round (it really all comes down to matchups). It’s hard to see them beating the top three in the West, or how they get over that hurdle in the coming years with this roster, but they are a good team.
Iguodala is averaging 12.9 points a game, although his three point shooting has dropped to 31.2 percent shooting this season. But he is key to what Denver wants to do defensively — the Nuggets are 12th in the NBA in points allowed per possession, which is much better than the 20th they were last season.
At age 29, don’t be shocked if Iggy does opt out this summer but then resigns with the Nuggets. He’s going to get one more kick at the can with a big contract, I bet he takes it sooner rather than later.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 13
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)