Mar 11, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Apparently the basketball injury gods were not done with Kyrie Irving yet.
Irving left Sunday night’s game with the Raptors after a collision and now the Cavaliers have announced he will be out three to four weeks with a sprained shoulder the team announced.
The injury happened with just a couple minutes left in the third quarter, Irving tried to drive baseline and collided with Raptors rookie Jonas Valanciunas. A foul was called and Irving got free throws, but he took them one handed (hit one of two) then came out and went straight to the locker room. Meanwhile the Cavs collapsed and lost the game.
Irving has already missed a chunk of the season with broken finger (he’s played in just 49 games this season) and has had an assortment of other injuries that have slowed him since his return. Even with that he has averaged 23 points and 5.7 assits a game and was voted an All-Star by Eastern Conference coaches.
He is a potentially franchise-changing talent but this is a lot of injuries that piled up this season. Maybe shutting him down isn’t the worst idea, you don’t want him to be one of the long list of talented NBA players undone by injuries and never reaching their potential.
- Chris Andersen complements Heat’s Big Three so well 0
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 2
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 6
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 13
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games