Mar 11, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Apparently the basketball injury gods were not done with Kyrie Irving yet.
Irving left Sunday night’s game with the Raptors after a collision and now the Cavaliers have announced he will be out three to four weeks with a sprained shoulder the team announced.
The injury happened with just a couple minutes left in the third quarter, Irving tried to drive baseline and collided with Raptors rookie Jonas Valanciunas. A foul was called and Irving got free throws, but he took them one handed (hit one of two) then came out and went straight to the locker room. Meanwhile the Cavs collapsed and lost the game.
Irving has already missed a chunk of the season with broken finger (he’s played in just 49 games this season) and has had an assortment of other injuries that have slowed him since his return. Even with that he has averaged 23 points and 5.7 assits a game and was voted an All-Star by Eastern Conference coaches.
He is a potentially franchise-changing talent but this is a lot of injuries that piled up this season. Maybe shutting him down isn’t the worst idea, you don’t want him to be one of the long list of talented NBA players undone by injuries and never reaching their potential.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 34
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4