Mar 11, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
DeMarcus Cousins is going to get suspended for that.
If there is one thing the Serge Ibaka nut shot on Blake Griffin made clear, it’s that the NBA league office takes prior offenses and any pattern of problems into account when dishing out punishments. This would be Cousins fourth suspension-worthy incident from the league this season, so you can bet it’s gone at least a game, maybe a couple.
And once again, it comes back to Cousins not being able to control his anger.
On the previous play Mike Dunleavy collide got tangled up and earn double technical. We can debate whether Dunleavy undercut Cousins in the fight for position — and NBA players rightfully get freaked out about potential knee damage — or if that was something from the normal course of play.
What you can’t argue is Cousins reaction goes too far — on the following play Cousins throws an elbow to Dunleavy’s head, and after review he was tossed. James Ham of Cowbell Kingdom was at the game and reports Cousins looked at Dunleavy and said “I got you” before the play in question.
Cousins has said before when he feels wronged he can’t let things go. But he has got to learn to channel that into a more productive energy for his team — the Kings best player (he had 24 and 10 in three quarters Sunday) getting tossed in a game they end up losing by two is not good for anyone. Well, except the Kings’ opponents.
But the fact is the Kings have had coaches, current veterans, Hall of Famers and everyone West of the Mississippi talk to Cousins about not losing it. Yet here we are. This is on him; he is in control of his reactions.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 0
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 3
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 30
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 28
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 24