Mar 10, 2013, 12:32 PM EDT
The season-long disagrement between the Utah Jazz and Raja Bell has finally reached its conclusion, as the team announced it has waived the 12-year veteran on Sunday.
Bell has not been with the team at all this season after vocalizing unhappiness with his role and criticizing head coach Tyrone Corbin. The Jazz had paid him to stay home, while exploring options to trade him before offering to buy out his contract for less than the fully guaranteed amount.
Bell and the team did not reach a buyout agreement, so this move creates a roster spot for the Jazz, but Bell will receive the full amount of his contract.
Bell needed to be waived by March 1 to be playoff eligible this season. He is free to sign with another team once he clears waivers, but if he does catch on with someone he won’t be able to play for them past the end of the regular season.
Bell’s agent told Bill Oram of the Salt Lake Tribune that Bell definitely wants to play again, though his diminished skill set and poor attitude may make that a challenge.
The roster in Utah now stands at 14, but the team is expected to sign Travis Leslie from the D-League to fill that spot, Oram reports. The team is reeling, and finds itself tied with the Lakers record-wise for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference, after losing by 29 points to a depleted Knicks team on Saturday.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 5
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 21
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 26
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 29
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 39
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 29