Mar 9, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
UPDATE: 7:20 p.m. ET: Carmelo Anthony is out for this one, according to multiple reports.
The news is far worse for Amar’e Stoudemire, however, who will miss at least the next six weeks after an MRI taken on Saturday revealed the need for knee surgery.
2:00 p.m. ET: Carmelo Anthony has missed the Knicks’ last two games with soreness in his right knee, and it could be three straight when New York hosts the Jazz on Saturday.
Knicks head coach Mike Woodson told reporters at shootaround that Anthony would be a game-time decision after receiving treatment.
“We’ve just got to wait and see if he’s ready to go tonight,” Woodson said, via Ian Begley of ESPN New York.
The Knicks could also be without Amar’e Stoudemire, who is reportedly experiencing soreness in both of his knees. Stoudemire has been on a minutes limit of 30 per game, and has been essentially right at it the last three games.
Woodson said the decision to play on Saturday would be Stoudemire’s.
The Knicks are 4-5 on the season when Anthony sits, and even though they can get the occasional scoring outburst from J.R. Smith, the team will only go as far as Anthony can take them. It’s more than a little worrisome, then, that Anthony has a build-up of fluid in that sore knee, but according to the ESPN report, there are no plans to drain the fluid at this time.
Anthony should obviously rest as much as possible to get this under control before the playoffs. But it’s worth noting that the Knicks are currently the three seed in the Eastern Conference playoff picture, a half game behind the Pacers for the number two spot.
If the Knicks had their choice that’s where they’d like to stay, since falling to fourth would mean a first round date with a very difficult Bulls team. And even if that test was passed, the Heat would be waiting for them in the second round, whereas if New York stayed in second or third, the team wouldn’t have to worry about a potential matchup with Miami until the conference finals.
- Mike D’Antoni: Chances “pretty good” Kobe plays Sunday… he sold that short 3
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 9
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 17
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)