Mar 9, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
UPDATE: 7:20 p.m. ET: Carmelo Anthony is out for this one, according to multiple reports.
The news is far worse for Amar’e Stoudemire, however, who will miss at least the next six weeks after an MRI taken on Saturday revealed the need for knee surgery.
2:00 p.m. ET: Carmelo Anthony has missed the Knicks’ last two games with soreness in his right knee, and it could be three straight when New York hosts the Jazz on Saturday.
Knicks head coach Mike Woodson told reporters at shootaround that Anthony would be a game-time decision after receiving treatment.
“We’ve just got to wait and see if he’s ready to go tonight,” Woodson said, via Ian Begley of ESPN New York.
The Knicks could also be without Amar’e Stoudemire, who is reportedly experiencing soreness in both of his knees. Stoudemire has been on a minutes limit of 30 per game, and has been essentially right at it the last three games.
Woodson said the decision to play on Saturday would be Stoudemire’s.
The Knicks are 4-5 on the season when Anthony sits, and even though they can get the occasional scoring outburst from J.R. Smith, the team will only go as far as Anthony can take them. It’s more than a little worrisome, then, that Anthony has a build-up of fluid in that sore knee, but according to the ESPN report, there are no plans to drain the fluid at this time.
Anthony should obviously rest as much as possible to get this under control before the playoffs. But it’s worth noting that the Knicks are currently the three seed in the Eastern Conference playoff picture, a half game behind the Pacers for the number two spot.
If the Knicks had their choice that’s where they’d like to stay, since falling to fourth would mean a first round date with a very difficult Bulls team. And even if that test was passed, the Heat would be waiting for them in the second round, whereas if New York stayed in second or third, the team wouldn’t have to worry about a potential matchup with Miami until the conference finals.
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 0
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 12
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10