Tom Thibodeau on Derrick Rose: “He’s not quite there yet”

Mar 8, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls' Derrick Rose listens to coach Tom Thibodeau during their NBA basketball game against the Detroit Pistons in Chicago Reuters

The return of Derrick Rose is close.

He reportedly has been cleared by doctors to play but he doesn’t feel ready yet, he wants to be able to dunk off his left foot.

Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau sides with Rose (wise move). He said that Rose is close but not there yet, reports the Associated Press.

“We’ll see when he’s ready,” Thibodeau said. “He’s getting there. He’s not quite there yet….”

Asked if Rose would be allowed to play if he felt he was able, Thibdodeau said, “We’ll cross that bridge when we get there. We’re just going day by day.”

When Derrick Rose is ready Derrick Rose will be back on the floor. Which is how it should be. That’s his body, his knee, his career. Everyone can wait for him. Patiently.

My guess — and it is just a guess — is that we’ll see Rose back on the court in the next couple of weeks.

1. mungman69 - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM

He WILL be ready for the playoffs.

2. michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM

I’d get angry if I was a reporter and got non-answers like that. All he asked was if Rose will play when he feels he’s ready… so he’s asking if the Bulls will let him. Whatever… interviews with athletes/coaches is such a joke.

• lmoneyfresh - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Well, who’s fault is it that Thibs and the Bulls organization get tired of answering the same stupid questions asked by these reporters. They’ve been very quiet about this the entire time, why would that, or should that, change now? They’re not going to disclose anymore information than they are required to.

• michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I didn’t want to insult sports reporters ’cause I thought Kurt might ban me.

3. lakerluver - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I love D. Rose as a player, but so what if he’s back for the playoffs, the Bulls can’t beat the Heat. Management needs to get the kid some legit help. Noah is good, Deng is pretty good but other than that what do the Bulls have? It would be a shame to waste Rose’s prime years without getting him a legit 2nd option.

4. adoombray - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Noah has turned himself into a top 5 big man in the league, Deng is a perennial All-Star, and just because Boozer is overpaid doesn’t make him a bad player – in fact, he’s most valuable as an outlet for D. Rose when his name rotates over for the double team on the drive. I hate it when people go “oh they can’t beat the Heat”. They said that about Dallas, too, and they also said that about both the Pacers last year (who had a shot until they lost momentum) and the Celtics (who came extremely close). uhhh, yeah, they absolutely can, that’s why they play the game, there is no rule that the Heat automatically get to go to the finals. They don’t just cancel the eastern conference playoffs cuz LeBron is doing LeBron things these days. Anything can happen. Could be LeBron’s the one with the torn ACL in the playoffs too, he’s certainly logging heavy minutes and quite frankly probably doing too much on the way to the finish line.

I get that you don’t sacrifice future championships for this year, but you also don’t sacrifice a championship out of fear either. People may be overly clairvoyant on the internet, but the ball don’t lie, and it hasn’t even been tipped off yet.

5. crnvic847 - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM

@adoombray

You made some very valid points. While I don’t wish injury upon anybody, you’re exactly correct. LeBron could easily suffer a season-ending injury as well as either Bosh or Wade could too. I think the Bulls could make a serious run at the Heat in the playoffs with a healthy Rose. Unless the inevitable happens and Milwaukee knocks off Miami in the first round.

6. davidly - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:07 PM

They should bring him back sloooowly. Five minutes off the bench for a couple of games; then ten; then fifteen, and twenty, then mix in starting minutes at five with fifteen of the bench, ten and ten, etc., and by the time they reach the playoffs he’ll’ve played thirty starters minutes and be ready for the first round.

Who am I kidding. Thibs’ll have him logging forty his first night out.

7. deavn - Mar 9, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Just sit the dude for the remainder of the season. There’s no reason to get him back on the court if he’s not 100 percent. I’m mean, do what you wanna it’s not my decision. I just think the reasonable thing to do is to let dude rehab and be ready going into training camp next season.

8. nygrwy - Mar 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM

The knicks should have done the same thing with Shumpert. They totally rushed him back.

9. chrismt79 - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:24 AM

Thank you Tibbs. As much as I love Rose. I love him for his ability to actually, you know, play. If he’s not even dunking (which is a part of the enjoyment of watching him) I’d rather not see him out there. Some of the big guys, ie.. Howard can get away with being a shell of their former selves, as he still had the size to be somewhat effective. DRoses otherworldly ability to maneuver through defenses and finish at the rim is what makes him special. Take that away, and well, lets just get him back. And NY, your right, Shumpert came back too soon. He was fun to watch earlier this year.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches