Rudy Fernandez attacked by fans in Lithuania, says he is “fine”

Mar 8, 2013, 8:50 PM EST

BASKET-EURL-ESP-REALMADRID-ALBABERLIN Getty Images

Sports fans willing to go too far in support of their team are not confined to college football tailgate parties…

You remember Rudy Fernandez, the solid two guard who didn’t enjoy the NBA and wanted to get back to Europe as fast as he could? Well he is back in his native Spain playing for powerhouse Real Madrid. If I need to tell you there are a few over the top sports fans in Europe, you need to watch more soccer highlights.

Fernandez was attacked Thursday by a couple of fans near the team bus after a road win for Madrid against Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania. The fans reportedly struck Fernandez on the neck and shoulder and also hit a security guard who stepped in.

The incident is being investigated by the EuroLeague itself as well local police and both teams.

Fernandez released a statement, which we saw via BlazersEdge.com.

“I am fine. Thank God things did not go further. I have to say thanks for the support of everyone that has contacted me through social networks and private messages. I am not enjoying this; people have to know that basketball cannot get dirty this way. Things like this don’t have to happen again. I think that people should not think that all Lithuanian fans are like that just because of these two people. Not at all. In the game, as always in all games, there was some tension, but I was respected at all times, which is the most important thing. This happened because of these two and that’s the image I keep. Something worse could have happened; I hope it never happens again. I hope [the media] respect me a bit because I am struggling, but I would like to thank those who have supported me and will carry on supporting me.”

We should be glad and feel lucky this wasn’t worse.

1. libertarianvoter - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Are we sure he was “attacked”, or Rudy Flopnandez flail his head and arms backward when someone breathed in his general direction?

• adoombray - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Wow dude, even for random anonymous internet commentary… that’s pretty cold.

All that hate will consume you.

2. rwmilli - Mar 9, 2013 at 1:33 AM

No kidding, grow up :/ no matter your personal view of someone’s play, their well being is more important than just a GAME

3. badintent - Mar 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM

In Greece they throw batteries, dog shi*t and used tampons( the men throw throw them… a greek thing)

• badintent - Mar 9, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Josh Childress words ,not mine.He played there for a year, ran back to U.S. and kissed the ground at the tarmac.

• genericcommenter - Mar 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Is that why he completely lost the ability to hit a shot from anywhere on the court? I’ve been wondering how a guy goes from 80% to 0% at the line and from reliable to 6%/non-factor from 3 and like 20% on short twos.

4. chrismt79 - Mar 10, 2013 at 6:16 AM

Ahh.. I wondered were Ibaka got his training.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches