Mar 8, 2013, 8:50 PM EDT
Sports fans willing to go too far in support of their team are not confined to college football tailgate parties…
You remember Rudy Fernandez, the solid two guard who didn’t enjoy the NBA and wanted to get back to Europe as fast as he could? Well he is back in his native Spain playing for powerhouse Real Madrid. If I need to tell you there are a few over the top sports fans in Europe, you need to watch more soccer highlights.
Fernandez was attacked Thursday by a couple of fans near the team bus after a road win for Madrid against Zalgiris Kaunas in Lithuania. The fans reportedly struck Fernandez on the neck and shoulder and also hit a security guard who stepped in.
The incident is being investigated by the EuroLeague itself as well local police and both teams.
“I am fine. Thank God things did not go further. I have to say thanks for the support of everyone that has contacted me through social networks and private messages. I am not enjoying this; people have to know that basketball cannot get dirty this way. Things like this don’t have to happen again. I think that people should not think that all Lithuanian fans are like that just because of these two people. Not at all. In the game, as always in all games, there was some tension, but I was respected at all times, which is the most important thing. This happened because of these two and that’s the image I keep. Something worse could have happened; I hope it never happens again. I hope [the media] respect me a bit because I am struggling, but I would like to thank those who have supported me and will carry on supporting me.”
We should be glad and feel lucky this wasn’t worse.
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 9
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 9
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71