Mar 8, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
There is this sense among some in Chicago that Derrick Rose could be back playing already but he is choosing not to because he sees the roster and doesn’t want to kill himself for no chance. Rose’s brother certainly fanned those flames.
But anyone who ever talked to Rose, who has seen how competitive he is, can’t buy that for a second. I don’t doubt he wants to be out there more than Bulls fans want him out there, but he wants to be himself when he returns. He wants to be healthy.
Which brings us to the latest report, this via a source speaking to ESPNChicago.com — Doctors have cleared Rose but he is not ready yet.
Derrick Rose’s doctor has cleared the Chicago Bulls’ star to play, a team source said, but his long-awaited return to the lineup won’t occur until he can confidently dunk off his left foot, Rose has told the team….
The team is not pressuring Rose, the source said, but the Bulls are confident he will return this season and are still hoping for a mid-March return, which would mark 10 months after his surgery….
The source said the team has been assured by Rose’s doctor that there is no more chance of the former MVP getting injured upon his return than anyone else and that the doctor told the Bulls that physically “he can play now.” Rose is now dealing with the psychological side of trusting his body.
Rose’s game is based on explosiveness, hesitation moves, his ability to cut and change directions faster than his defender (or sometimes multiple defenders). So the fact he doesn’t fully trust that knee yet matters — he will not be the same player until he does. And Rose doesn’t want to go back out there and not be himself.
The bottom line remains that everyone has to be patient. Rose is a franchise anchor, an MVP, a guy you can build a contender around. You’re generous if you say there are a dozen of those kind of guys in the NBA total right now. This isn’t about games in March or challenging the Heat these playoffs. It’s about next year and the five years after that (at least). Rose will be back soon I bet, but not until he is fully ready.
- Greg Oden says he’s not interested in comeback right now 3
- Damian Lillard, as stature grows, refuses to become content 3
- PBT’s Sunday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You may want to try and cover Marc Gasol 9
- Jimmy Butler on Derrick Rose: “We want him to be 100 percent” for the playoffs 11
- Report: Free agent market for Jeff Green is as strong ‘if not stronger’ than it is for Rajon Rondo 20
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 55
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 3
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12