Mar 8, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
There is this sense among some in Chicago that Derrick Rose could be back playing already but he is choosing not to because he sees the roster and doesn’t want to kill himself for no chance. Rose’s brother certainly fanned those flames.
But anyone who ever talked to Rose, who has seen how competitive he is, can’t buy that for a second. I don’t doubt he wants to be out there more than Bulls fans want him out there, but he wants to be himself when he returns. He wants to be healthy.
Which brings us to the latest report, this via a source speaking to ESPNChicago.com — Doctors have cleared Rose but he is not ready yet.
Derrick Rose’s doctor has cleared the Chicago Bulls’ star to play, a team source said, but his long-awaited return to the lineup won’t occur until he can confidently dunk off his left foot, Rose has told the team….
The team is not pressuring Rose, the source said, but the Bulls are confident he will return this season and are still hoping for a mid-March return, which would mark 10 months after his surgery….
The source said the team has been assured by Rose’s doctor that there is no more chance of the former MVP getting injured upon his return than anyone else and that the doctor told the Bulls that physically “he can play now.” Rose is now dealing with the psychological side of trusting his body.
Rose’s game is based on explosiveness, hesitation moves, his ability to cut and change directions faster than his defender (or sometimes multiple defenders). So the fact he doesn’t fully trust that knee yet matters — he will not be the same player until he does. And Rose doesn’t want to go back out there and not be himself.
The bottom line remains that everyone has to be patient. Rose is a franchise anchor, an MVP, a guy you can build a contender around. You’re generous if you say there are a dozen of those kind of guys in the NBA total right now. This isn’t about games in March or challenging the Heat these playoffs. It’s about next year and the five years after that (at least). Rose will be back soon I bet, but not until he is fully ready.
- Brothers allege entourage of Damian Lillard beat them for taking his picture 7
- Amar’e Stoudemire still thinks Knicks’ front court trio can work 15
- Report: Dwight Howard not going to Clippers… did we need a report for that? 16
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” 51
- Spurs shut down Zach Randolph in Western Conference Finals’ first major strategic move 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (105)
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (86)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay