Mar 8, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
The idea of Paul Pierce in an Dallas Mavericks uniform just seems… wrong.
Yet apparently it was closer to happening than we knew.
Celtics GM Danny Ainge was listening to offers and talking about maybe blowing up Boston and restarting, but the conventional wisdom was he wouldn’t go through with it. But he almost did, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
Before the trade deadline passed, the Boston Celtics had one final choice to make on the franchise’s future: In a three-way deal that would’ve secured Josh Smith and surrendered Paul Pierce to Dallas, Atlanta wanted Boston’s first-round draft pick, too….
Nevertheless, Boston wouldn’t relent on the pick and the deal died on meeting-room grease boards in three cities.
Dallas with a season of Paul Pierce and Dirk Nowitzki together next season, working in a rotation with Vince Carter, would have been interesting but a little old in a West with the Thunder on top. But that deal would have fit with their plan of shorter term deals (Pierce has one year after this). Atlanta would have gotten some more pieces for its rebuilding effort.
But the Celtics are 13-4 since Rajon Rondo went down, standing pat has worked out. Besides, is a Rondo pairing with Josh Smith — who expects to get a max contract offer this summer — really a reboot that works in Boston? That strikes me as a team that is good, not great (unless the hope is Josh Smith could help lure Dwight Howard out of Los Angeles, and now we’re talking two new max deals the Celtics can’t afford). And Kevin Garnett may well have looked at the Rondo/Smith pairing and thought being with the Clippers didn’t look so bad.
But the Celtics are 13-4 since Rajon Rondo went down, you
It’s all speculation now, the deal never went down. Which is probably best in Boston.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54