Mar 8, 2013, 5:04 PM EST
The idea of Paul Pierce in an Dallas Mavericks uniform just seems… wrong.
Yet apparently it was closer to happening than we knew.
Celtics GM Danny Ainge was listening to offers and talking about maybe blowing up Boston and restarting, but the conventional wisdom was he wouldn’t go through with it. But he almost did, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
Before the trade deadline passed, the Boston Celtics had one final choice to make on the franchise’s future: In a three-way deal that would’ve secured Josh Smith and surrendered Paul Pierce to Dallas, Atlanta wanted Boston’s first-round draft pick, too….
Nevertheless, Boston wouldn’t relent on the pick and the deal died on meeting-room grease boards in three cities.
Dallas with a season of Paul Pierce and Dirk Nowitzki together next season, working in a rotation with Vince Carter, would have been interesting but a little old in a West with the Thunder on top. But that deal would have fit with their plan of shorter term deals (Pierce has one year after this). Atlanta would have gotten some more pieces for its rebuilding effort.
But the Celtics are 13-4 since Rajon Rondo went down, standing pat has worked out. Besides, is a Rondo pairing with Josh Smith — who expects to get a max contract offer this summer — really a reboot that works in Boston? That strikes me as a team that is good, not great (unless the hope is Josh Smith could help lure Dwight Howard out of Los Angeles, and now we’re talking two new max deals the Celtics can’t afford). And Kevin Garnett may well have looked at the Rondo/Smith pairing and thought being with the Clippers didn’t look so bad.
But the Celtics are 13-4 since Rajon Rondo went down, you
It’s all speculation now, the deal never went down. Which is probably best in Boston.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 0
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 14
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)