Renaldo Balkman issues statement apologizing for choking incident

Mar 8, 2013, 1:32 PM EDT

As to be expected, Renaldo Balkman issued an apology for the incident above, where he went berserk and choked a teammate. Here is the statement (via SLAM):

“I, Renaldo Balkman, would like to apologize to my teammates, the fans, the entire Philippines Basketball association, and the entire Perton Blaze Boosters organization. I would especially like to apologize to Arwind Santos and his family. I would never intentionally inflict harm on another human being, especially a teammate who I respect deeply.

“My behaviors, during a very intense moment of a heated game, came as a surprise even to me. It is not in my character to react physically in any situation and this is the first time I have ever behaved in such a manner. My actions were out of line and I am ready to fully accept any consequences for my actions. I hope that the Petron Blaze Boosters management will recognize this unfortunate situation as a slip up that will never happen again.”

How the team and his teammates take that is clearly up to them. I don’t think this statement helps his standing with NBA teams in his efforts to get back in the league.

1. digitalpoo - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

“I would never intentionally inflict harm on another human being….”

Looked pretty intentional to me.

• zerole00 - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Seriously, this wasn’t a momentary reaction. Seemed like the situation (whatever it was) was getting angrier and he kept lashing out at his teammates.

What a dick.

• fukpittsburgh - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Nice try Renaldo. You’re a punk. Always have been, always will be.

2. rockymountainraider - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Glad Karl broke up the “Thuggets”. There all just leaching to teams now.

3. dangle13x - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:58 PM

What a piece of trash. Maybe we will all get justice and some angry Asians will harvest his organs.

• gor76 - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

While I don’t condone his actions, I think murder may be a little extreme.

4. bjerkrulez - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Somewhere, Sprewell is saying – ‘That’s my guy’ lmao

5. ranoversquarells - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

On the next “Locked-Up Abroad” …

6. bjerkrulez - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

C’mon guys, he just did a Reggie Miller choke sign-to his teammate please understand. lol

7. michaeljordanseviltwin - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Apology not accepted. These public apologies are getting to frequent and the turnaround is too fast to be sincere. Not to mention that there’s no forgiveness for choking somebody. You can’t undo that.

8. pmpott - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Next up on “When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong”

9. lew24 - Mar 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Same guy the Knicks took in the 1st round! lol

• fanofevilempire - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Same guy the Nuggets took in the trade for Melo! lol

I changed some things and but it’s still not funny!

• denverhoopdreams - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:18 PM

What do you mean? Balkman went BACK to the Knicks WITH Melo, when the trade occurred. You do not have any facts straight.

10. 1972wasalongtimeago - Mar 8, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Dude looks like Rafi. No, not the “Baby Beluga” Raffi.
    Rafi from “The League”; aka Bro Lo El-Cordero

11. jcmeyer10 - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM

This is what happens when Patron is a sponsor.

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:47 PM

My reading comprehension is terrible but the joke works, huzzah.

12. fanofevilempire - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM

No big deal, just a little quarrel.

I hope Santos learned his lesson.

If Kobe did this to D-12, they would have been winning a long time ago.

13. dko83 - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:58 PM

He would never do something like this in the NBA. He would get wrecked.

14. lakerluver - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:10 PM

He Spreeweld him!

15. money2long - Mar 8, 2013 at 6:21 PM

listen, i’m happy he at least recognizes his wrong doing. maybe it is his agent telling him to do so in order to not have his nba window slam shut, but still, we can never know the sincerity of this, but what we do know it that he has taken a step in the positive direction nonetheless. he needs to continue to focus more attention on apologizing to the guy he choked out and embarrassed on the court. he embarrassed himself too, but he needs to make mend anything he destroyed between him and his team and teammate.

16. jackdaniels1 - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Loved this clip, some riveting entertainment. Too bad no punches were thrown

Wizards playing spoiler in East