JaVale McGee gets digs in at ‘bully” Shaq, says he doesn’t watch “Shaqtin’ a Coon”

Mar 8, 2013, 10:06 AM EDT

Pretty much every week on Inside the NBA, Shaquille O’Neal and the crew have fun at JaVale McGee’s expense. Especially on Shaq’s blooper reel “Shaqtin a Fool,” where McGee is a fixture.

After the Nuggets beat the Clippers Thursday McGee did the live remote and went on Inside the NBA, where Shaq was doing his “I’m messin’ with ya but you know I love ya” routine.

McGee was having none of it, but came back at Shaq in a joking manner.

He described Shaq as a “bully” and said he never watches “Shaqtin’ a Coon.” He did it with a smile on his face, so he came off just like Shaq.

Ernie Johnson did the professional thing and jumped in after the coon comment to steer the interview away from the uncomfortable and toward the direction of talking about basketball and the Nuggets.

By the way, McGee was again on “Shaqtin’ a Fool” again Thursday. We’ll see if he’s on it next week or gets a few weeks off now.

(Thanks to The Big Lead for the video.)

1. broncobeta - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Good for McGee. He does have a lot of bonehead plays, but he’s been playing a lot better this year (not $10m better, but hey whatever).

His block on Odom last night was sick. They shouldn’t even call it a block, it should be a different stat entirely.

• 808raiderinparadise - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Coon is entirely ok …. its Cooner thats offensive, unless you are black, or have a really good friend who’s black, then you can get away with it around them … sometimes.

• spthegr8 - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:11 PM

@808raider
        Being a black man. Lemme tell you that the word coon is NOT OK!!!! I am 6 ft 7 and weigh 240 pounds and I am willing to bet, that you wouldn’t call me a coon to my face??? That lets you know the word is not ok to use!! JUST SAYING!!!!

• 808raiderinparadise - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM

lol niether did i say it was ok, i played off the use of the N word to make a point. obviously your intelligence is smaller than your frame.

2. miamatt - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I never thought I’d see the day that “coon” was a part of an NBA headline. I get what JaVale was saying, though… pretty funny

3. acdc363 - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Is coon not considered a swear word anymore? Isn’t it like using the N word? Or was that just live and they couldn’t bleep it?

• chicitybulls - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Yeah it is live and I’m sure they probably didn’t have time to bleep it. I’ve heard them say some things on air over the years that maybe should’ve been bleeped. But the author of this could have did something not to include it in his title, even if he was quoting him. He could have put “Shaqtin’ a C**n” or something like that.

• frankiebooboo - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Lol. You can’t use c**n… The white guys would think that the “n” was misplaced. They would think its supposed to read “shaqtin a c*nt.

4. nbascreed - Mar 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM

What did they expect? Shaq goes in on dude hard, a cursory apology is not going to placate McGee when they’re face to virtual face. Shaq really should give it a rest.

ktgotgame.com

5. Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Glad that McGee did this.

6. timb12 - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I thought coon wasn’t an acceptable word. Especially since Greeny’s “Martin Luther Coon day”

• kinggw - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM

It really isn’t, but it is an apt description of what Shaq does on set. Inside the NBA was much better without Shaq.

7. timb12 - Mar 8, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I was more taken aback that Penny Hardaway returned from the grave. My brother told me he died. Glad to see he’s still alive.

• Kurt Helin - Mar 9, 2013 at 11:39 AM

No, that was ‘lil Penny that died (kidding).

8. mojowheelz - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Shaq is a bully, and although JaVale has done some bonehead things in the past, he has proven to be a much more mature player this year. He is proving by action and not words that he has matured, but Shaq may never grow up. I don’t like the word he used, but maybe the shock value is what was required to make his point.

9. joebone - Mar 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM

It’s a funny word with various gradations of meaning depending on context, and if one black man wants to clown another with it, not a problem for me. I suspect that LaVale didn’t even consider that it was a politically incorrect TV word, but nonetheless we all knew what he was going for and Shaq had it coming.

Next up, someone will correctly use the word “niggardly” to describe Shaq’s contribution to Inside The NBA, and everyone’s head will explode.

10. frankiebooboo - Mar 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Maybe Kurt is black and feels its ok for him to use the slur “coon”. Maybe next we’ll see him using the n-word just as freely.

• Kurt Helin - Mar 9, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I’m not condoning the word use, but it is a direct quote. In that instance I will use it in the quote. That’s as far as it goes.

11. dko83 - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:09 PM

This guy is.. I don’t know how to explain it. For me he’s like a reverse Cousins. We ALL know he can be great, really great, but isn’t for some reason. That upsets basketball fans in general. I wish him well. His blocks/dunks are sick. He could potentially be defensive player of the year if he wanted it bad enough.

12. mp4philly - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM

6’7″ and 240? Wow, you’re big. Your mother must be proud.

13. spthegr8 - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:05 PM

@mp4
    actually, she is!!!

14. stakules - Mar 17, 2013 at 4:05 AM

Shaq is an NBA legend and Mcgee probably grew up watching and admiring Shaq. It’s a slap in the face to deride that young man like that. Do your little bloopers and ride on the level of respect you gained as a pro. But to constantly pick on one guy trying to make a name for himself without all the acclaim you started with is a little classless don’t you think. Especially for a legend.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches