Mar 8, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Deron Williams put himself in the NBA record book on Friday, and he did so before the first half of the game between the Nets and the Wizards was anywhere close to being finished.
Williams knocked down nine three-pointers by halftime , including hitting 7-7 from beyond the arc before the end of the first quarter.
Williams finished with 11 threes on the night, one shy of the single game record of 12 which is shared by Kobe Bryant and Donyell Marshall. He did have one shot at it, and got a pretty clean look. But it rimmed out with 1:09 remaining.
Williams joins just three other players in history to finish with 11 three-pointers made in a game — Dennis Scott (in 1996 with the Magic), J.R. Smith (in 2009 with the Nuggets), and Stephen Curry, who got his back on Feb. 27 in his 54-point performance against the Knicks.
Williams finished with 42 points on 15-24 shooting, to go along with five assists in Brooklyn’s easy 95-78 victory.
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 1
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 33
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 15
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 36
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (75)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'