Mar 7, 2013, 2:11 AM EDT
Lots of close games, lots of crazy buzzer beaters on Wednesday night. But it wasn’t just the Jeff Greens and Klay Thompsons that got their team wins, it was others like the three guys below. Except for the Third Star, he tried but got undone by some guy named LeBron.
Third Star: Nikola Vucevic (25 points, 21 rebounds)
Orlando almost did it, they almost came from 20 back to end the Heat’s winning streak (and they would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn’t for that meddling LeBron James). Nikola Vucevic was a big part of that, he had 15 points and 14 rebounds in the second half and provided that inside presence you must have to challenge the Heat.
Second Star: Blake Griffin (23 points, 11 rebounds, 11 assists)
Yes, Blake Griffin can dunk. Sweet tomahawk dunks off between-the-legs alley-opp passes. But if you think that’s all he can do you haven’t watched him outside of highlights for a while. He is a load in the post right now. He has a good spin move, good footwork, and he plays to his strengths — his athleticism — and he gets to the rim and takes good shots. He was 8-of-9 in the restricted area against the Bucks (a very good shot blocking team) and made a good defender in Larry Sanders look bad a couple times in there.
First Star: Kobe Bryant (42 points, 12 assists, 7 rebounds)
It feels at time like Kobe Bryant is willing the Lakers to the playoffs. At age 34. With an elbow that is flaring up and an assortment of injuries that would sideline most players. For nearly 42 minutes Wednesday the Lakers looked like they would get blown out by the Pelicans-to-be, but Kobe would not let that happen. He had 18 points and only missed one shot in the fourth quarter, plus he had a couple assists. He would not let the Lakers lose (and the Hornets helped by collapsing).
I don’t know how far Kobe’s Jedi powers extend but the Jazz and Rockets continue to give the Lakers all the help they need to let Los Angeles get into the playoffs. What once seemed out of reach is coming together for the Lakers. Much like this game.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 9
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 48
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43