Mar 7, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Marcin Gortat, one of the few reliable players on the Suns night in and night out this season (and a guy whose role has shrunk as they try to develop young players) could be done for the year.
The Suns announced that Gortat has a sprained foot and would be out three to four weeks.
But this tweet from Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic made it sound worse.
The injury happened in the first half of the Suns loss to the Raptors Wednesday.
Gortat was shopped around at the deadline but there were no takers. Which is a bit of a surprise because the Polish Hammer is a solid, traditional center — 11.1 points a game, has grabbed 24.4 percent of the Suns defensive rebounds when on the floor this season — that a few playoff teams could have used.
I’d say this really hurts the Suns chances, but frankly it probably helps their chances of getting more Ping Pong balls in the lottery.
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 2
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 8
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 4
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 24
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 4