Mar 7, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Marcin Gortat, one of the few reliable players on the Suns night in and night out this season (and a guy whose role has shrunk as they try to develop young players) could be done for the year.
The Suns announced that Gortat has a sprained foot and would be out three to four weeks.
But this tweet from Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic made it sound worse.
The injury happened in the first half of the Suns loss to the Raptors Wednesday.
Gortat was shopped around at the deadline but there were no takers. Which is a bit of a surprise because the Polish Hammer is a solid, traditional center — 11.1 points a game, has grabbed 24.4 percent of the Suns defensive rebounds when on the floor this season — that a few playoff teams could have used.
I’d say this really hurts the Suns chances, but frankly it probably helps their chances of getting more Ping Pong balls in the lottery.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 8
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 7
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 16
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15