Mar 7, 2013, 3:44 PM EDT
Marcin Gortat, one of the few reliable players on the Suns night in and night out this season (and a guy whose role has shrunk as they try to develop young players) could be done for the year.
The Suns announced that Gortat has a sprained foot and would be out three to four weeks.
But this tweet from Paul Coro of the Arizona Republic made it sound worse.
The injury happened in the first half of the Suns loss to the Raptors Wednesday.
Gortat was shopped around at the deadline but there were no takers. Which is a bit of a surprise because the Polish Hammer is a solid, traditional center — 11.1 points a game, has grabbed 24.4 percent of the Suns defensive rebounds when on the floor this season — that a few playoff teams could have used.
I’d say this really hurts the Suns chances, but frankly it probably helps their chances of getting more Ping Pong balls in the lottery.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 2
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 27
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 17
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15