Mar 7, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Rockets GM Daryl Morey has been more popular outside Houston and with the media — particularly the NBA blogosphere — than inside Houston. They keep hearing about the brilliance but what they saw was a team that was pretty mediocre at best (because the bodies of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming gave out, both pre-Morey guys, but still).
However, this year you really can see progress. Morey finally landed the franchise player he’s been after and some moves like getting Omer Asik are paying off. Barring a collapse now, the Rockets should make the playoffs this season. And their future is bright with plenty of cap space.
So Rockets ownership rewarded Morey with a four-year contract extension, reports Fox Houston.
Houston Rockets owner Leslie Alexander told FOX 26 Sports on Thursday that he and general manager Daryl Morey have reached a verbal agreement on the key components of a 4-year extension.
Morey has one-year left on his contract, so the four-year extension ties him to the Rockets through the 2017-18 season.
“The reason I extended Daryl, I thought he’s done a terrific job in his tenure with the Rockets,” Alexander said. “I think he’s somebody we want to keep around for a long time to help construct the team.”
This time Morey is not only the chef but he got to pick his ingredients on this team, and so far it looks pretty good at 33-29. He should be allowed to see what he can make with it.
But if this soufflé falls things could be very different.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 17
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 76
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 9
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36