Mar 7, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Rockets GM Daryl Morey has been more popular outside Houston and with the media — particularly the NBA blogosphere — than inside Houston. They keep hearing about the brilliance but what they saw was a team that was pretty mediocre at best (because the bodies of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming gave out, both pre-Morey guys, but still).
However, this year you really can see progress. Morey finally landed the franchise player he’s been after and some moves like getting Omer Asik are paying off. Barring a collapse now, the Rockets should make the playoffs this season. And their future is bright with plenty of cap space.
So Rockets ownership rewarded Morey with a four-year contract extension, reports Fox Houston.
Houston Rockets owner Leslie Alexander told FOX 26 Sports on Thursday that he and general manager Daryl Morey have reached a verbal agreement on the key components of a 4-year extension.
Morey has one-year left on his contract, so the four-year extension ties him to the Rockets through the 2017-18 season.
“The reason I extended Daryl, I thought he’s done a terrific job in his tenure with the Rockets,” Alexander said. “I think he’s somebody we want to keep around for a long time to help construct the team.”
This time Morey is not only the chef but he got to pick his ingredients on this team, and so far it looks pretty good at 33-29. He should be allowed to see what he can make with it.
But if this soufflé falls things could be very different.
- A ‘devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize in time for Game 7 4
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 5
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 7
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 96
- PBT Extra: Talking Duncan, LeBron legacies; plus Game 6 12
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (98)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'