Mar 7, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
Rockets GM Daryl Morey has been more popular outside Houston and with the media — particularly the NBA blogosphere — than inside Houston. They keep hearing about the brilliance but what they saw was a team that was pretty mediocre at best (because the bodies of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming gave out, both pre-Morey guys, but still).
However, this year you really can see progress. Morey finally landed the franchise player he’s been after and some moves like getting Omer Asik are paying off. Barring a collapse now, the Rockets should make the playoffs this season. And their future is bright with plenty of cap space.
So Rockets ownership rewarded Morey with a four-year contract extension, reports Fox Houston.
Houston Rockets owner Leslie Alexander told FOX 26 Sports on Thursday that he and general manager Daryl Morey have reached a verbal agreement on the key components of a 4-year extension.
Morey has one-year left on his contract, so the four-year extension ties him to the Rockets through the 2017-18 season.
“The reason I extended Daryl, I thought he’s done a terrific job in his tenure with the Rockets,” Alexander said. “I think he’s somebody we want to keep around for a long time to help construct the team.”
This time Morey is not only the chef but he got to pick his ingredients on this team, and so far it looks pretty good at 33-29. He should be allowed to see what he can make with it.
But if this soufflé falls things could be very different.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2