Mar 7, 2013, 11:53 AM EDT
Rudy Gay won a lot of fans over when he first went to Toronto, but since then he has burned through a lot of that capital he built up. Gay is scoring 19.8 points a game but is shooting just 39 percent overall and 23.3 percent from three. Sorry to tell you this Raptors fans, but this is the real Rudy Gay — a lot of inefficient points. Moments of brilliance and he can defend, but consistency is not a strong suit.
The Raptors have him locked up for next season at $17.9 million. Gay has a player option (at $19.3 million) for the season after that. But the Raptors don’t want to risk losing him then.
This summer the Raptors are going to offer Gay a contract extension to his current deal, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports (in an article where Gay says Memphis never really gave him the chance he wanted).
The struggling Raptors appear to believe in Gay. General manager Bryan Colangelo already views him as the face of the franchise, and a source said he will likely offer a contract extension in the offseason. Toronto is in need of star power since the departure of Chris Bosh and the demise of Andrea Bargnani, the former No. 1 draft pick. Attempts will be made to move Bargnani this summer for a proven scoring post player, sources said.
“I needed a change,” Gay said of the trade. “I needed a new situation. A new task. I needed a new task with something I could grasp, something I could take over. I need to be challenged. I was challenged in Memphis, but it was tug of war at times. Here I’m being challenged and they’re seeing what I’m made of.”
Yes, they are seeing what Rudy Gay is made of, and that should give GM Colangelo pause here. There is a sense in Toronto they have to overpay to get talent to come there. Maybe to a degree it’s true. But if you’re going to pay that much you need to get value for that money.
Does Gay provide that? Really?
Also, good luck trading Bargnani this summer. There is no market for that guy, let alone for a “proven scoring post player.”
- Kobe was never going to retire this summer, says so on twitter 2
- Spurs show they have too much offense for Grizzlies to handle in Game 1 destruction 3
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets 76
- Spurs would like to remind you they are very good, crush Grizzlies in Game 1 19
- LeBron takes offense to something that Pacers’ head coach Vogel didn’t actually say 45
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (84)
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (78)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay