Mar 7, 2013, 12:58 PM EDT
Austin Rivers may have been finally starting to figure it out. But now we’re not going to find out for a while.
Rivers will be out four to six weeks with a broken fourth metacarpal bone in his right hand suffered in the Hornets come-from-ahead loss to the Lakers Wednesday night. Which is to say you can pretty much expect him to be done for the season.
Rivers had gone for a steal in the first half of the game and his hand jammed into the body of teammate Greivis Vasquez and that caused the fracture.
For the fist 50 games of this season, the No. 10 overall pick in the last draft had been bad. I mean historically bad. Before the All-Star Game Rivers was scoring 6 points a game shooting 35 percent on the season, 31.6 percent from three, and he was barely getting more assists than turnovers. The Hornets kept playing him under the theory he would improve, but it didn’t look good.
But in his last 5 games (10 really) he has started to show he’s learning from all those mistakes. He is averaging 8.4 points per game on 62.1 percent shooting, and his assist turnover ration is up to 2/1 in the last five games. He had 10 points on 5-of-6 shooting against the Lakers before breaking his hand.
He may or may not make it back this season, but Rivers should be at summer league and spend the summer working out with the team trying to build on the steps he started to make at the end of this season. He’s still a project, this is just an interruption in the plan.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 40
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18