Dwight Howard tries to clarify thoughts on Orlando, teammates

Mar 7, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Whenever someone famous tries to clarify a previous statement, does it really help?

Nonetheless, Dwight Howard felt obligated. In a recent interview he said about Orlando that “…was a team full of people who nobody wanted, and I was the leader and I led that team with a smile on my face.”

I can’t imagine why his teammates would take that as an insult (•cough•), but they did. Just because he said nobody wanted them? Because that’s not what he meant, Howard told the media Wednesday, including Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“My statement was just to say that our team that I played with in Orlando, we were the underdogs,” Howard said after the Lakers’ 108-102 win over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday night. “Nobody really talked about our team. It was underrated. Everybody overlooked us for the whole time I was there in Orlando and I hated that. We all hated that. We thrived off that. My comments were never to say anything disrespectful to those guys. Those were my teammates for years. They helped me become the player that I am today and we all got to the Finals because of that.

“I would never say anything disrespectful to those guys and I think a lot of people took that and ran with it, twisted it into a negative thing. I love those guys. We’ve had some great memories and we thrived off people saying that we weren’t going to make it to the Finals, we weren’t going to be a good team. That’s what pushed us.”

Twisted it into a negative thing? People quoted you. Directly. It’s on you for what came out of your mouth, you may have thought you were speaking to a Los Angeles television station but nothing Howard says is local anymore (nothing any pro athletes says or does is local anymore). This happens all the time in national politics when a politician thinks they are speaking to one audience and doen’t realize that a much larger audience is going to going to pick up on what they said. (Think Mitt Romney and the “47 percent” comment, meant for one audience but there is no such thing when you run for president.)

Dwight, you are the center of the Lakers, the biggest position on a tent pole NBA franchise. Everything you say will be picked up by everybody. Everything that comes out of your mouth will be quoted. If you don’t want people or former teammates to be offended by what you say, then don’t say it.

And don’t try to sell how much you loved Orlando and your teammates there because that bridge blew up when you left town like it was over the river Kwai.

Dwight, keep your head down, defend like you did in the fourth quarter against the Hornets, and win. That’s the way out of your PR hole.

Latest Posts
  1. Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges

Sep 2, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT

Houston Rockets v Golden State Warriors - Game Five Getty Images

Don’t bring a loaded Glock to an airport, people. It’s pretty much common sense.

2. Celtics’ Isaiah Thomas: “I wanna be the best little guy to ever play the game of basketball”

Sep 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers- Game Two Getty Images

Best ever little guy? Calvin Murphy is in the HOF, so he’s the man.

3. Report: Clippers planning a mascot

Sep 2, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

It won’t be called Seagull Kneivel

4. D-League Showcase will use net rating as tiebreaker

Sep 2, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT

2015 NBA D League Showcase Getty Images

Advanced stats aren’t always the answer

5. Shaq with the coolest fist bump ever (video)

Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT

2015 NBA Finals - Game One Getty Images

If only I could get people to run up to fist bump me while I walk…

6. Report: 76ers interested in Kendall Marshall

Sep 2, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

Point guard reportedly working out in Philadelphia

7. Ty Lawson on coming to Houston: “It’s definitely a breath of fresh air”

Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Sacramento Kings v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

For Lawson personally I hope this move and this situation is what he needs to get his life in order.

8. Report: Pistons signing Eric Griffin

Sep 1, 2015, 11:07 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Griffin will give Pistons 19 players, 17 with guaranteed salaries

9. LeBron James: Championship not a requirement of a great team

Sep 1, 2015, 10:07 PM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron indicates 1999-00 Trail Blazers were great, implies something about his own career

10. Erik Spoelstra: Heat’s starting lineup needs time before it’ll succeed

Sep 1, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Goran Dragic, Dwyane Wade, Luol Deng, Chris Bosh and Hassan Whiteside look pretty good on paper

11. Wizards expect Tomas Satoransky to join them in summer of 2016

Sep 1, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT

FC Barcelona v Olympiacos Piraeus - Turkish Airlines Euroleague Play Off Getty Images

He’s a 6’7″ combo guard with a lot of potential