Dwight Howard tries to clarify thoughts on Orlando, teammates

Mar 7, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Whenever someone famous tries to clarify a previous statement, does it really help?

Nonetheless, Dwight Howard felt obligated. In a recent interview he said about Orlando that “…was a team full of people who nobody wanted, and I was the leader and I led that team with a smile on my face.”

I can’t imagine why his teammates would take that as an insult (•cough•), but they did. Just because he said nobody wanted them? Because that’s not what he meant, Howard told the media Wednesday, including Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“My statement was just to say that our team that I played with in Orlando, we were the underdogs,” Howard said after the Lakers’ 108-102 win over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday night. “Nobody really talked about our team. It was underrated. Everybody overlooked us for the whole time I was there in Orlando and I hated that. We all hated that. We thrived off that. My comments were never to say anything disrespectful to those guys. Those were my teammates for years. They helped me become the player that I am today and we all got to the Finals because of that.

“I would never say anything disrespectful to those guys and I think a lot of people took that and ran with it, twisted it into a negative thing. I love those guys. We’ve had some great memories and we thrived off people saying that we weren’t going to make it to the Finals, we weren’t going to be a good team. That’s what pushed us.”

Twisted it into a negative thing? People quoted you. Directly. It’s on you for what came out of your mouth, you may have thought you were speaking to a Los Angeles television station but nothing Howard says is local anymore (nothing any pro athletes says or does is local anymore). This happens all the time in national politics when a politician thinks they are speaking to one audience and doen’t realize that a much larger audience is going to going to pick up on what they said. (Think Mitt Romney and the “47 percent” comment, meant for one audience but there is no such thing when you run for president.)

Dwight, you are the center of the Lakers, the biggest position on a tent pole NBA franchise. Everything you say will be picked up by everybody. Everything that comes out of your mouth will be quoted. If you don’t want people or former teammates to be offended by what you say, then don’t say it.

And don’t try to sell how much you loved Orlando and your teammates there because that bridge blew up when you left town like it was over the river Kwai.

Dwight, keep your head down, defend like you did in the fourth quarter against the Hornets, and win. That’s the way out of your PR hole.

Latest Posts
  1. Clippers waive Jordan Hamilton

Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Jordan Hamilton Jordan Hamilton

Hamilton played 14 games with the Clippers last season.

2. Gregg Popovich expects Tim Duncan to play the “same boring game” as usual

Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EDT

Tim Duncan, Gregg Popovich Tim Duncan, Gregg Popovich

That would be good news for the Spurs and bad news for the rest of the Western Conference.

3. Report: Chris Paul to attend Team USA minicamp

Aug 1, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Chris Paul, Ray McCallum Chris Paul, Ray McCallum

Paul is still in the running for a spot on the 2016 Olympic team.

4. Raptors’ GM Masai Ujiri sees Bismack Biyombo as key part of roster transformation

Aug 1, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Detroit Pistons v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Biyombo has worked with Hakeem Olajuwon this summer on post moves, other parts of his game.

5. Nets finally taking responsible path to rebuilding, don’t expect another spending spree next summer

Aug 1, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets Deron Williams Paul Pierce Kevin Garnett Getty Images

The Nets will be paying the price for their win-now era for a few years to come still.

6. Report: Dwight Howard to attend Team USA mini-camp after all

Aug 1, 2015, 1:11 AM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

This is the right move, whether he decides to play in Rio or not.

7. Watch Karl-Anthony Towns highlights from Summer League

Jul 31, 2015, 11:08 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3mmzjztazntu1ogzhywnkzju2otmyzgnloty5otbl1 AP

He looks like a guy who can live up to the No. 1 pick billing.

8. Pelicans waive Toney Douglas, still await Norris Cole decision

Jul 31, 2015, 10:26 PM EDT

Utah Jazz v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Norris Cole is still looking for a bigger payday.

9. Pacers’ Jordan Hill arrested for reckless driving, clocked at 107 mph

Jul 31, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Hill told the police he was “in a hurry.” I guess so.

10. Warriors trade Gerald Wallace to Philadelphia in exchange for Jason Thompson

Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Neither guy is going to make a difference on the court for these teams. This was just moving some money around.

11. Trail Blazers guarantee Allen Crabbe’s contract for next season

Jul 31, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT

LV Celtics v Trailblazers Getty Images

Crabbe looked good in Las Vegas at Summer League.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches