Dwight Howard tries to clarify thoughts on Orlando, teammates

Mar 7, 2013, 2:17 PM EDT

Dwight Howard AP

Whenever someone famous tries to clarify a previous statement, does it really help?

Nonetheless, Dwight Howard felt obligated. In a recent interview he said about Orlando that “…was a team full of people who nobody wanted, and I was the leader and I led that team with a smile on my face.”

I can’t imagine why his teammates would take that as an insult (•cough•), but they did. Just because he said nobody wanted them? Because that’s not what he meant, Howard told the media Wednesday, including Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“My statement was just to say that our team that I played with in Orlando, we were the underdogs,” Howard said after the Lakers’ 108-102 win over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday night. “Nobody really talked about our team. It was underrated. Everybody overlooked us for the whole time I was there in Orlando and I hated that. We all hated that. We thrived off that. My comments were never to say anything disrespectful to those guys. Those were my teammates for years. They helped me become the player that I am today and we all got to the Finals because of that.

“I would never say anything disrespectful to those guys and I think a lot of people took that and ran with it, twisted it into a negative thing. I love those guys. We’ve had some great memories and we thrived off people saying that we weren’t going to make it to the Finals, we weren’t going to be a good team. That’s what pushed us.”

Twisted it into a negative thing? People quoted you. Directly. It’s on you for what came out of your mouth, you may have thought you were speaking to a Los Angeles television station but nothing Howard says is local anymore (nothing any pro athletes says or does is local anymore). This happens all the time in national politics when a politician thinks they are speaking to one audience and doen’t realize that a much larger audience is going to going to pick up on what they said. (Think Mitt Romney and the “47 percent” comment, meant for one audience but there is no such thing when you run for president.)

Dwight, you are the center of the Lakers, the biggest position on a tent pole NBA franchise. Everything you say will be picked up by everybody. Everything that comes out of your mouth will be quoted. If you don’t want people or former teammates to be offended by what you say, then don’t say it.

And don’t try to sell how much you loved Orlando and your teammates there because that bridge blew up when you left town like it was over the river Kwai.

Dwight, keep your head down, defend like you did in the fourth quarter against the Hornets, and win. That’s the way out of your PR hole.

Latest Posts
  1. Dion Waiters: Kevin Love ‘thinks I’m underrated’ and ‘knows I pass the ball’

Aug 27, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Dion Walters, Kevin Love Dion Walters, Kevin Love

Waiters on the possibility of playing with Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving: ‘I’ve got to destroy my opponent’

2. Michael Beasley gets second Lakers workout

Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Miami Heat Los Angeles Lakers v Miami Heat

Former No. 2 remains unsigned after disappointing season with Heat

3. Doc Rivers got PAID

Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT

San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers San Antonio Spurs v Los Angeles Clippers

New contract with Clippers makes Rivers the NBA’s highest-paid coach

4. Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan

Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat Cleveland Cavaliers v Miami Heat

Go back to July 1 and consider the possibility of LeBron James and Kevin Love playing for Cleveland this season

5. Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers

Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT

Kevin Love Kevin Love

Minnesota’s owner tried to point out some of Love’s flaws once the deal was done.

6. Doc Rivers signs contract with Clippers through 2019

Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT

Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer Doc Rivers, Steve Ballmer

Clippers owner Steve Ballmer calls keeping Rivers ‘one of my top priorities’

7. Donald Sterling doesn’t appeal, basically throws in towel on owning Clippers

Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT

Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano Donald Sterling, V. Stiviano

Donald Sterling will try to embarrass the league going forward, but he will not ever own the Clippers again.

8. Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner

Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT

Miami Heat v New York Knicks Getty Images

Shumpert and other Knicks will love an offense with player and ball movement… if ‘Melo shares the rock.

9. Sixers GM says he never had conversations about acquiring Anthony Bennett

Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT

Sam Hinkie

Sixers value a pick in next year’s draft more than they do Bennett at this time.

10. Report: Clippers plan to stretch Carlos Delfino, waive Miroslav Raduljica

Aug 27, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT

Carlos Delfino Carlos Delfino

Clippers could sign Chris Douglas-Roberts, Ekpe Udoh with freed cap space

11. Anthony Davis was filling up the stat sheet vs. Slovenia (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

Davis had 18 points, nine rebounds, five blocks and three steals in 20 minutes of work.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches