Dwight Howard tries to clarify thoughts on Orlando, teammates

Mar 7, 2013, 2:17 PM EST

Dwight Howard AP

Whenever someone famous tries to clarify a previous statement, does it really help?

Nonetheless, Dwight Howard felt obligated. In a recent interview he said about Orlando that “…was a team full of people who nobody wanted, and I was the leader and I led that team with a smile on my face.”

I can’t imagine why his teammates would take that as an insult (•cough•), but they did. Just because he said nobody wanted them? Because that’s not what he meant, Howard told the media Wednesday, including Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“My statement was just to say that our team that I played with in Orlando, we were the underdogs,” Howard said after the Lakers’ 108-102 win over the New Orleans Hornets on Wednesday night. “Nobody really talked about our team. It was underrated. Everybody overlooked us for the whole time I was there in Orlando and I hated that. We all hated that. We thrived off that. My comments were never to say anything disrespectful to those guys. Those were my teammates for years. They helped me become the player that I am today and we all got to the Finals because of that.

“I would never say anything disrespectful to those guys and I think a lot of people took that and ran with it, twisted it into a negative thing. I love those guys. We’ve had some great memories and we thrived off people saying that we weren’t going to make it to the Finals, we weren’t going to be a good team. That’s what pushed us.”

Twisted it into a negative thing? People quoted you. Directly. It’s on you for what came out of your mouth, you may have thought you were speaking to a Los Angeles television station but nothing Howard says is local anymore (nothing any pro athletes says or does is local anymore). This happens all the time in national politics when a politician thinks they are speaking to one audience and doen’t realize that a much larger audience is going to going to pick up on what they said. (Think Mitt Romney and the “47 percent” comment, meant for one audience but there is no such thing when you run for president.)

Dwight, you are the center of the Lakers, the biggest position on a tent pole NBA franchise. Everything you say will be picked up by everybody. Everything that comes out of your mouth will be quoted. If you don’t want people or former teammates to be offended by what you say, then don’t say it.

And don’t try to sell how much you loved Orlando and your teammates there because that bridge blew up when you left town like it was over the river Kwai.

Dwight, keep your head down, defend like you did in the fourth quarter against the Hornets, and win. That’s the way out of your PR hole.

1. pellypell - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Dwight, please stop talking.

Thank you.

• moseskkim - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Tell me about it. If he shuts the heck up, he’ll have 90%less problems

2. eureca323 - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:26 PM

According to the interviewer she says it was taken out of context and that his whole comments were not aired in their interview which shows he wasnt trying to bash them. It was a sit down interview that aired locally.

Obviously Dwight is not gonna get the benefit of the doubt and hes probably not earned it.

• dgforreal - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Instead of saying it was taken out of context they should release the full interview to clear it up. Easy.

3. lakerluver - Mar 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

What he said is true, that team was full of mostly scrubs and role players. However, Dwight shouldn’t have said it publicly.

• bougin89 - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Lakerluver I thought you retired from this site. The Magic had a very solid team, one that made it to the finals at one point. A team that is better than what the Lakers have assembled this year.

4. andyhr17 - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

This dude just cannot shut up and play basketball. He spends more time talking and being a diva than working on his game.

• badintent - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM

If I made $17+ million a year, I would /could pay for a PR man. Howard , a PR man talks for you. That way , your size 20 sneaker doesn’t get jammed in your mouth. Or have you agent talk for you if you haven’t already fired him for doing nothing.Anyone else except you talk, your dog, your cat, your goat, anyone, even your mama.Just NOT YOU. COMPREDED NINO ??

5. eugenesaxe - Mar 7, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Dude doesn’t know when to shut up. Does he not have an agent, or advisor, or an 8-year-old to give him advice?

6. southbeachtalent - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Maybe his brain was hacked? Oh no that only works with twitter….

7. 11thstreetmafia - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Keep talking. This is fantastic. This guy is so entertaining in front of a mic for all of the wrong reasons. I wish he was better at basketball, though.

8. edwardemanuelson - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Paint yo face clown!

9. 32magicman - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:03 PM

These ‘star’ players make me laugh. They all want to be paid to the max and then complain when the team cant afford to surround them with top players!

10. fanz928 - Mar 7, 2013 at 6:55 PM

It was probably twisted I mean why he say that? It only makes him look worst to the public and lose respect among players

11. luz56 - Mar 7, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Fool me once shame on you…fool me twice shame on me!…. DH basketball fan.

12. keegax - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Imagine if Dwight Howard dedicated as much time to learning to shoot a free throw or a 15 footer as he did talking trash on former teammates, current teammates, etc…then multiply that by the number of times he cries to ref and then you have someone you would actually wanna play with

13. ravissevens - Mar 7, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Lots of talent, no drive, lacks mental toughness, wants it to happen without putting in the hard yards.
    Happens way too much with elite athletes and that’s a shame as I know anyone of us fans would kill to have the opportunity these guys do!

14. weaselpuppy - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I think he has some mental health issues.Seriously. Look up the definition of Narcissism…not run of the mill NBA Star Diva….serious issues.

I wouldn’t take him on my team. Seriously…He has proven nothing so far except that he has no one’s back but his own.

15. kanemoney - Mar 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Yet another example of how Dwight should just shut up and play.

16. magicbucs - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Hey lakerluvr that team full of scrubs took out 2 60+ win teams to get to the finals. Celtics and the cavs w/o home court in both of those series.
    Beat Philly in Philly to win that 1st round series while Dwight was out 1 game, suspended from elbowing Sam dalenbert in the head.
    They broke the records for 3pt shots taken and made in a season. And they made 23 3s in a game is that also an nba record. Your momma a scrub lol

17. 32magicman - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:16 AM

Well said. BANG!

18. wsuperman4445 - Mar 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM

As I have said I have said in the past, the Magic team was designed with Howards Limited game in mind ( inside out 3 point specialist with a pick and roll to the inside for Dwight to make or Clean up. well it made him a star. but now you guys see what limited offensive game he has including his free throws. when is the media going to realize this guy will no longer be a superstar like he was in Orlando? and now he’s still trashing the Franchise that made him what he was in Orlando ( at Least) ? Good luck Laker Fans with that up coming Maxi Contract, you have Damaged Goods!

19. omniusprime - Mar 8, 2013 at 8:59 AM

The Orlando Tragic was a team of losers no one wanted, just like Howard said. Howard should have left well enough alone and not tried to clarify his comment, all that does is drag out the drama. Then again considering how poorly the Tragic and their pathetic fans treated Howard it’s no wonder he’s still sore at them. Now we can see that the Tragic is just a team of losers with no hope for the future. Tragic fans should find a better team to root for and the Tragic should find a better city to play in.

Go Howard!!! Go Lakers!!!

• eerock41 - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Remember that Howard was one of those loser’s too. But we are glad to let the Fakers have this idiot. He will never be the same player he was in orlando, mainly because in LA he is never going to be the number one person on the team. This is not a guy you can build your team around, becuase no matter what the GM does Howard will not be happy with it. Good luck Fakers. And if i remember right the Tragic all ready beat the crap out of your team this year once.

• eerock41 - Mar 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

p.s. i hope the Traic use hack a howard on thuesday

20. jmmsr1 - Mar 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM

What an idiot

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches