Mar 6, 2013, 7:08 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Greg Oden’s agent Mike Conley Sr. (yes, the father of the Memphis point guard) told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida that the center is still looking at four teams to sign with this summer — Miami, San Antonio, Cleveland and Charlotte. The smart money is still on Cleveland, but one should never rule out the temptations of Miami (and the sales job Pat Riley can do).
• It’s not just the basketball side of the NBA front offices that are using advanced stats, they are starting to use the same thing to target ticket sales. Which is if anything behind the curve of what other marketing businesses are doing.
• Lawrence Frank will not be coaching the Pistons Wednesday, he’s away from the team on a personal matter.
• Greg Monroe is also out for the Pistons on Wednesday.
• Lamar Odom dozed off in the hall this week outside his child support hearing. At least he didn’t do it in front of the judge.
• Speaking of courtrooms, Mark Cuban’s efforts to get an insider trading case against him thrown out of court fell short.
• Doc Rivers feels for Philadelphia and what it’s been like to be without their star all season.
• Kareem Abdul-Jabbar says he would love to coach the Milwaukee Bucks. I imagine so. But he should have to do what Patrick Ewing and so many others have done first and spend years as an assistant coach, not just be given the gig.
• The brother of Donald Fehr — the respected head of the NHL’s players union — basically ruled out Fehr taking over the NBA players union for Billy Hunter.
• Finally, Tyson Chandler has hooked up with a good cause — protecting elephants.
John Wall kicked off plane in Las Vegas after someone in his group allegedly threatened another passenger
May 29, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
No charges were filed, but …
Bulls GM: Permission would have been granted for other teams to talk to Thibodeau, but ‘nobody called’
May 28, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Maybe because they knew Thibodeau would be available eventually.
May 28, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
Tough to see him as a stronger candidate than at least two others. Unless …
May 28, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Thompson was throwing up after the game.
May 28, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Players supposedly said they’d avoid team facility this summer if Thibodeau remained the head coach.
May 28, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
How this was handled raises questions.
May 28, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
Thibodeau was fired as Bulls head coach on Thursday.
May 28, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
Wade wants a bigger contract when he opts out this summer.
May 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
The 2012 first-round pick has played in three NBA games.
May 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Okay Bulls, now find someone better.
Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship”
May 28, 2015, 4:28 PM EDT
The team believes not beating the Cavaliers was a missed opportunity.
May 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT
As he should
May 28, 2015, 2:42 PM EDT
American president tweets about LeBron James and J.R. Smith
May 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Two words: Vivek Ranadivé
May 28, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Clippers center reportedly interested in signing with Dallas
May 28, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Kevin Love might leave the Cavaliers in free agency. Cleveland fans, if history is any indication, wouldn’t treat him well if he does. What would Love’s peers think? Colin Cowherd asked Jared Dudley – whom you might remember from saying players avoid Kobe Bryant Bryant and calling Carmelo Anthony the NBA’s most overrated player –…
May 28, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Bulls owner Jerry Reinsforf: ‘There must be free and open interdepartmental discussion and consideration of everyone’s ideas and opinions. These internal discussions must not be considered an invasion of turf, and must remain private.’
May 28, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Chicago reportedly plans to resolve standoff by Friday
May 28, 2015, 10:41 AM EDT
Denver reportedly has not interviewed Mike D’Antoni
May 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
That seems… connected
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 61
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8