Mar 6, 2013, 1:17 PM EDT
UPDATE 1:17 pm: The Pacers released an update saying that Danny Granger had an MRI and it showed no new damage to his knee. Which is good. I guess. It’s the same old pain.
He will be re-evaluated in a week.
12:50 pm: It wasn’t a good sign when Danny Granger’s comeback from knee surgery had him playing 8 minutes in the first half of a game and sitting the entire second half. Then he said he still had pain in the knee.
So it’s not a shock Granger will be out for the Pacers against the Celtics Wednesday and for another week, something reported by Gary Washburn at the Boston Globe and others.
This isn’t that big a blow to the Pacers short term — they are the two seed in the East and have basically done it without him all season. Nothing changes. The Pacers still have the best defense in the NBA.
The issue will be more in the playoffs — they need to score more to challenge the Heat, or frankly they may need to score more to even get a chance to challenge the Heat. So long as the Pacers offense is prone to long naps during games, they are vulnerable to teams that can score in bunches (hello there Knicks).
But as for Wednesday night with the Celtics defense slowing the Pacers and the Pacers defense taking on a Celtics team on a back-to-back… bet the under. This is not going to be pretty.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50