Mar 6, 2013, 2:13 PM EDT
The Lakers haven’t got time for the pain. Literally. They play the Hornets Wednesday night with their two stars banged up and neither can really take the night off because the Lakers need wins over teams like the Hornets if they want to catch anyone and make the playoffs.
Kobe Bryant suffered a hit on a nerve on his elbow Tuesday night against the Thunder — he said he wears a sleeve on his shooting arm to protect against exactly this. You could see him wince in pain on the court and he left the game to get some treatment more than once. Here’s his quote, from the Los Angeles Daily News.
“Every time you try to bend your elbow and extend it, Bryant said, “there’s a little resistance and a lot of pain.”
You think he’s going to take a game off? Who have you been watching the last decade? Check out this tweet from Kobe.
Dwight Howard doesn’t get the same credit of playing through pain Kobe does, mostly because Howard’s game seems more impacted by the back and shoulder injuries he’s had. And he’s missed games. And he’s not Kobe.
But Howard told ESPNLosAngeles.com he plans to play through the shoulder pain that is still there.
Howard also got hurt in the first quarter, needing the team to call timeout when he reaggravated the torn labrum in his right shoulder that has caused him to miss six games already this season….
“Metta was trying to run through and I was trying to run back and as he was turning around, his momentum pulled my arm all the way back [across my body], and it’s been bugging me since,” Howard said. “I just played through it as much as I can and I try not to worry about it.”
While we’re mentioning it, Metta World Peace is going to play through his ankle pain. He had X-rays taken but they were negative. So he goes.
Wednesday night, on the road in New Orleans, is exactly the kind of game the Lakers MUST win if they are going to stay in the playoff hunt. So injuries? What injuries? The Lakers haven’t got time for the pain.
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 8
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 29