Dwight Howard slams Orlando teammates. Jameer Nelson tells him to stop talking.

Mar 6, 2013, 4:52 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It’s not in Dwight Howard’s nature to keep his head down, keep a low profile and just grind it out. I don’t intend that as an insult — he is gregarious, outgoing, talkative, and if you ask him a question he’ll pretty much answer it.

Howard sat down with the a reporter from the L.A. CBS affiliate and in the interview said this about his time in Orlando:

“And I always tell people: Hey, my team in Orlando was a team full of people who nobody wanted, and I was the leader and I led that team with a smile on my face.”

That went over in the Orlando locker room about as well as you imagine it would.

Jameer Nelson took the lead and did everything but tell Howard to shut up in a conversation with the Orlando Sentinel.

“At some point, when are you [Dwight] gonna as a man, when are you going to take ownership and stay out of the media in a professional manner?” Nelson told the Sentinel after Wednesday’s shooatround in Miami.

“I would be less of a man to comment on certain things that people comment on about me and my teammates. We had a great run as a group, as core guys, and he was a part of it (reaching the 2009 Finals) and for him to say things about anybody in a negative manner, that’s up to him.

“That’s his opinion. If that’s how he feels, that’s how he feels.”

We said it before the season and it still remains true — Howard’s reputation has taken a hit in the last year and the only thing that salvages it is playing well on a winning team. Kobe Bryant, LeBron James both were down and won back at least a measure (if not increased) their popularity by leading title teams. It is Howard’s only path.

I’d suggest he not talk so much while doing it, but that goes against his nature.

1. pistolpete0903 - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Dwight has to grow up and understand that the NBA is not a popularity contest.
    Another thing is you don’t have to be LIKED to be RESPECTED. Just hope he gets that.
    Unbelievable talent on thus guy; just needs a coach who can straighten him (a la Pops, Doc Rivers or Thibs).

2. magicbucs - Mar 7, 2013 at 1:53 AM

Legends/great players don’t need to bash players or former teammates. It’s called respect. obviously Dwight doesn’t know about that. Actually Dwight some of your former teammates were wanted by other teams. Anderson and redick most recent, Turk back in 2009 was in his prime

If you guys want to say the 2009 magic roster were all backups what’s that say about all other teams but the lakers that season?

3. jordanismyidol - Mar 7, 2013 at 4:11 AM

I used to be a dwight howard fan. But not anymore.

4. omniusprime - Mar 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Too funny how Howard tells the truth about his stint with the Orlando Tragic and his former teammates whine because the truth hurts. Same with the deluded Tragic fans who can’t come to grips with the fact that they are suckers for one of the perennial losers of the NBA.

Go Howard!!! Go Kobe!!! Go Lakers!!!

• eerock41 - Mar 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

so it would be ok for Howard to say the Fakers bench is not even to the level of his old teammates in Orlando. I mean the whole world knows the Fakers bench is the worst in the NBA.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview