Mar 6, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:32 pm: And what we expected has become official, the Knicks have announced Carmelo Anthony will not play Wednesday night against Detroit, tweets Marc Berman of the New York Post (as well as other media).
Will Anthony play against Oklahoma City on Thursday? It’s possible, coach Mike Woodson said. Personally I wouldn’t bet on it, but it’s possible.
Woodson also confirmed that Kurt Thomas will get the start. So the starting five is Thomas, Tyson Chandler, James White, Raymond Felton and Iman Shumpert. Good luck getting a lot of offense out of that group.
12:21 pm: Nothing is official — because they are the Knicks and all injury reports must be shrouded in mystery for reasons unknown — but I wouldn’t bet on Carmelo Anthony suiting up Wednesday night when the Knicks take on the Pistons.
Thursday night the Knicks host Oklahoma City on national television.
Anthony tweaked his knee Monday night, did not play the second half then said after the game his knee had been bothering him for a while and this was just an aggravation of it. He had an MRI to check things out and our friend Howard Beck of the New York Times tweets coach Mike Woodson’s comments on it.
Woodson also said he likely would start Kurt Thomas if (ok, when) Anthony sits. That would leave Amare Stoudemire, coming off his best game of the season, still coming off the bench. And the Knicks starting lineup would need Raymond Felton to create all the offense. Interesting choice.
Then why not start… oh, forget it.
Woodson also tried to throw himself on the sword for Anthony’s nagging knee issues saying he didn’t sit him when Carmelo asked. That from an interview with ESPN Radio in New York (via Sports Radio Interviews).
“I should have. But stubborn coach, I just didn’t. We’re down 22, I’m going to leave one of my best players in the game. Maybe I should have taken him out before he actually stumbled and took the fall. Again, I’m thinking the game. I’m thinking he’ll play through it, he’ll figure it out. But hey, he was hurting. He walked out after he took the spill and he didn’t come back. That’s not Melo-like. Obviously his knee was bothering him.”
Does anybody believe that if Anthony asked out Woodson would turn down his request? Carmelo could request Woodson run up the block during the game and grab him a slice of pizza and Woodson would do it. No way he doesn’t sit him.
But it’s the Knicks. What did you expect, honesty?
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 46
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31