Mar 6, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Welcome to PBT’s roundup of yesterday’s NBA games. Or, what you missed while stopping a crime using coffee…
Thunder 122, Lakers 105: The Lakers show some fight. Kobe Bryant had 30, Steve Nash had 20 and this was a five point game with six minutes to go. But the Thunder have another gear, the Lakers scored one point the rest of the way, Russell Westbrook poured in 37 on the night, and OKC got a comfortable win. Our man Brett Pollakoff broke it all down.
Bradley had 22 points (on 10-of-15 shooting) to lead a Celtics offense was once again clicking and moving the ball. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett each scored 18. But that was not the real key to the game — the Sixers led much of the first quarter because the usually stout Celtics defense let Jrue Holiday and his Philly teammates got to the rim seemingly at will. Boston played like they could win this by just showing up.
But Boston went to stretches of playing zone as the game wore on and with that the 76ers inability to sustain offense returned — they messed seven shots in a row early in the second quarter. By the middle of the second quarter the Celtics were up seven and while that lead fluctuated Boston was still up seven at the half.
The Sixers never lead the rest of the way but also wouldn’t go away and closed the third quarter on an 8-0 run to make it a five point game after three. Boston answered with a 9-0 run to open the fourth and that was your ballgame. Holiday had 18 points and 10 assists, but also another five turnover game for the Sixers.
Nuggets 120, Kings 113: It was a close game until Denver opened the second half on an 11-2 run and that was pretty much when you could leave the arena if you wanted beat the traffic. Ty Lawson had half of his 24 points in the third and the Nuggets as a team put up 36 in the quarter. Kenneth Faried was huge in the paint for Denver with 19 points and 12 rebounds. Meanwhile the Kings’ key big man DeMarcus Cousins had one of those nights, opening the game 0-for-8 shooting and not scoring until the third quarter.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)