Mar 6, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
If you are reading this blog, you likely are the demographic the new Esquire Network cable channel (formerly G4) is targeting. Or at least you like to think you are. The network is going after the “upscale men” demographic. Just like the tied-in magazine. No, don’t doubt yourself, you totally qualify as upscale.
That network also is giving Baron Davis his own show. The Boom Dizzle.
The half-hour “How I Rock It” (working title), from Ryan Seacrest Prods. and Citizen Jones, host and NBA superstar Baron Davis profiles athletes, musicians, celebrities, designers, influencers and street-style icons whose careers, lives and lifestyles are setting a stylish new standard for today’s modern man.
Just to be clear, Baron Davis and Ryan Seacrest are working together. Did not see that coming.
Davis has done a fair amount of production stuff (did you know he’s one of the guys behind NOC TV videos on YouTube?). He’s good on camera. Maybe this can work. Celebrity profile shows really come back to the host — can he make the guest open up or does it come off like a 30-minute show scripted by a publicist? Is it genuine or artificial?
Davis is great as a person and on camera, and I’ll admit a soft spot for his play and him going back to his days in Westwood. Not sure that makes me watch the show, but I’ll give him a chance when I might have mocked others for doing this.
But if he’s working on television shows don’t look for an NBA comeback.
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 2
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 12
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 12
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27