Mar 6, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT
If you are reading this blog, you likely are the demographic the new Esquire Network cable channel (formerly G4) is targeting. Or at least you like to think you are. The network is going after the “upscale men” demographic. Just like the tied-in magazine. No, don’t doubt yourself, you totally qualify as upscale.
That network also is giving Baron Davis his own show. The Boom Dizzle.
The half-hour “How I Rock It” (working title), from Ryan Seacrest Prods. and Citizen Jones, host and NBA superstar Baron Davis profiles athletes, musicians, celebrities, designers, influencers and street-style icons whose careers, lives and lifestyles are setting a stylish new standard for today’s modern man.
Just to be clear, Baron Davis and Ryan Seacrest are working together. Did not see that coming.
Davis has done a fair amount of production stuff (did you know he’s one of the guys behind NOC TV videos on YouTube?). He’s good on camera. Maybe this can work. Celebrity profile shows really come back to the host — can he make the guest open up or does it come off like a 30-minute show scripted by a publicist? Is it genuine or artificial?
Davis is great as a person and on camera, and I’ll admit a soft spot for his play and him going back to his days in Westwood. Not sure that makes me watch the show, but I’ll give him a chance when I might have mocked others for doing this.
But if he’s working on television shows don’t look for an NBA comeback.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 0
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 8
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4