Baron Davis is getting his own television show

Mar 6, 2013, 11:06 AM EDT

Jordan Brand Melo M9 Shoe Launch Getty Images

If you are reading this blog, you likely are the demographic the new Esquire Network cable channel (formerly G4) is targeting. Or at least you like to think you are. The network is going after the “upscale men” demographic. Just like the tied-in magazine. No, don’t doubt yourself, you totally qualify as upscale.

That network also is giving Baron Davis his own show. The Boom Dizzle.

I’m serious. And when you think about all the other people who have gotten shows this doesn’t seem like the worst idea ever. From Deadline.com (with a thank you to The Basketball Jones):

The half-hour “How I Rock It” (working title), from Ryan Seacrest Prods. and Citizen Jones, host and NBA superstar Baron Davis profiles athletes, musicians, celebrities, designers, influencers and street-style icons whose careers, lives and lifestyles are setting a stylish new standard for today’s modern man.

Just to be clear, Baron Davis and Ryan Seacrest are working together. Did not see that coming.

Davis has done a fair amount of production stuff (did you know he’s one of the guys behind NOC TV videos on YouTube?). He’s good on camera. Maybe this can work. Celebrity profile shows really come back to the host — can he make the guest open up or does it come off like a 30-minute show scripted by a publicist? Is it genuine or artificial?

Davis is great as a person and on camera, and I’ll admit a soft spot for his play and him going back to his days in Westwood. Not sure that makes me watch the show, but I’ll give him a chance when I might have mocked others for doing this.

But if he’s working on television shows don’t look for an NBA comeback.

1. ihavenonickname - Mar 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this headline.

2. jimsjam33 - Mar 6, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Where do I sign up ?

3. fanofevilempire - Mar 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Ryan Seacrest is a legit Producer and I believe Baron has been doing some Production
    work himself, I guess their experience and hard work could make it work. Baron has always
    been a good guy, Good luck!

4. 1509lucky - Mar 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Why does Ryan Seacrest even exist?

5. baymac408 - Mar 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Baron was so dope when he played for the WARRIORS.. Forever a fan!

6. mrlaloosh - Mar 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM

It should be titled “How to completely waste HOF talent by being lazy”. Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

7. Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 6, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Kurt, do you plan to watch ha?

• Kurt Helin - Mar 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I have to see if I get that channel.

8. chilomane - Mar 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Is about eating, being lazy, and injured

9. badintent - Mar 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Baron produced a great documentary on the rise of gangs in LA and the violence and drugs that grew out of simple neighborhood rivalries.Was on PBS 2-3 years ago. Might be on Youtube. I think he has a outstanding chance to succeed as a producer , not sure about him in front of the camera but willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview